How are everyone's grouse hunting plans?

Rick Todd

Grouse hunting opens this Thursday! It marks the beginning of the best time of the year (IMO). What are everyone's plans? I did finally get my new 28 GA o/u out to the skeet range Sunday and I am very pleased with how it shot! I'm really looking forward to carrying it in the woods. I'm meeting one or two WFF regulars in the Okanogan (hopefully Roper can make it) to chase those birds.Hope everyone has a great bird hunting season! Rick

Rick Todd

Steve-some day if you want a partner let me know. We've been spending all our weekends in Winthrop pushing to get the cabin done, but I should have some open time this fall and would love to join you! (besides, it's very close to my house!) Rick

Roper

Idiot Savant
Rick & Steve, count me in for a Mt. Baker run too, I'm sitting down in Everett...

Thursday will find me on Mt. Hull above the ranch, maybe Waucanda on Friday...it's an old haunt that friends and I hunted years ago.

Would love to hook up with both you guys and stomp around in the woods. I'll keep you posted. I usually go for a few day trips and if I find a real productive area I'll take the tin tipi up for a day or two.

fly-by

I've jumped quite a few while walking half-regrown logging roads to fish this summer, though not as many as last year. You guys mention 28 ga, and .410. Is there a load that can be used such that a 12 ga is not too much? I don't want to buy another gun just for the couple of days I'll likely hunt.

Rick Todd

I think a #8 or 71/2 trap load in 12 gauge is not be overgunned for grouse. I wouldn't probably use a .410 on grouse, because the shot string leaves little room for error and I'm not that good (unless I'm shooting them off the ground as some of my friends do, but they use a .22) I used to use a 20 ga before I got the 28 this summer. Rick

I think a #8 or 71/2 trap load in 12 gauge is not be overgunned for grouse. I wouldn't probably use a .410 on grouse, because the shot string leaves little room for error and I'm not that good (unless I'm shooting them off the ground as some of my friends do, but they use a .22) I used to use a 20 ga before I got the 28 this summer. Rick
full choke, 24" barrel and 3" shells, Ill let ya know how it goes! Shooting trap it seems to be an incredible shooting gun and I am confident in its abilities as a chicken killer! haha

Rick Todd

Blake-I'm convinced that gun fit and confidence in the gun is 80% of success. Like I said, I'm not a great shooter, but my second round of skeet I shot 22 out of 25 with the new 28 GA and a lot of the targets were smoked, so I'm pretty confident in that gun right now! Rick

Roper

Idiot Savant
Is there a load that can be used such that a 12 ga is not too much?
If you can find 1 ounce loads in 7 1/2's and less than 3 drams, that would do the trick. I load that for my 12's when I feel like lugging a big gun around, otherwise I use my 16 and 28's.

Fly-by, I'll ditto what Roper said. I usually take the shells I load for my sons 12 ga. trap gun with 6's or 71/2's instead of the 8's and 9's for clay birds. I got a bunch of Field Loads in 6's also for free, so I use those also. I'm stuck using a 12 ga. because I don't have a 20 ga. yet. bawling:

Don't have a dog either so I do a lot of walking.

Latest posts