How are everyone's grouse hunting plans?

Steve J.

Red's Fly Shop
I agree, Rick - confidence in the gun is a must! That being said, I've gone through plenty of "slumps" where I start changing guns, too. Did you have any custom work done on that new gun or is that straight out of the box?
Steve J

Rick Todd

Steve-that gun is just as you sold it to me. Of all my shotguns it fit me the best right out of the box! I too have hot and cold streaks with shooting. I remember one day when I shot a limit of quail with 12 shells (all over points so that is almost cheating!), and another when I got a limit of pheasant and a limit of quail in one day (my friends still have to hear that story 15 years later!) and other days where I've gone 0 for 6 on quail. Once you start missing you start thinking too much and it all goes to hell! Rick

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....
We'll load up the hounds and cruise the forest roads between Leavenworth and Lake Wenatchee, and walk the burns.

There's a load you guys also might want to consider: RST shotshells. Don and I shoot them exclusively in both our modern weapons and our antique hammerguns. They pattern superbly and aren't very expensive, with the added benefit of being about half the pressure of a regular load!

I'm starting the Tuesday after Labor Day and will hunt for 4 days. I use 71/2 in my 12g and 6's in the 16g. Two years ago I knocked down almost every bird down. Last year I was a finalist for the grouse conservationist medal for sparing the life of almost every bird.

ribka

Was out yesterday at around 6000 ft. Saw a few did not manage to get a shot. Dog was on them and I did not get set up for a shoot. My fault. Man it was hot!

Looking forward to cooler weather

Berries just starting to ripen.

P-FITZ98

Got 1 ruffed Sat. morning in Leclerc creek area. I think the spring wasnt to nice to the hatch.My weapon of choice is an old Stevens .22/.410 OU with a pistol grip we have called the "grouse charmer" for years with good reason. 3" #6 shot seems to work great for me.Good luck to all!

steelydan

Newb seeking wisdom
The dog and I have nothing to show for two days in the woods.
First day on the North Fork, hunted the edges of the cuts...didn't see a thing.
Figured I needed more elevation, went to the area above Lake Kachees, again, nada.
Glad some others are having some luck.

steelydan

Newb seeking wisdom
The dog and I have nothing to show for two days in the woods.
First day on the North Fork, hunted the edges of the cuts...didn't see a thing.
Figured I needed more elevation, went to the area above Lake Kachees, again, nada.
Glad some others are having some luck.
Finally got some!...not where I'd expect, either.
Got to let the dog do her thing!

Went out this morning on the westside and it was a total bust. I saw one ruffed and didn't get a shot. Last year at this time you had to beat them off the road with a damn stick

Latest posts