Raft Stove Needed

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
I really like my old school MSR GK Multi-fuel expedition stove with kerosene for boiling water. It used to make very short work of boiling 2 qts of water from snow. For cooking, I have a neat little propane 2 burner Kangaroo Kitchen. It isn't real compact but smaller than a Coleman. It bakes, barbeques (and smokes with hickory or mesquite chips), boils, or fries with a griddle, then the base and top become your wash basins for doing the dishes.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
I really like my old school MSR GK Multi-fuel expedition stove with kerosene for boiling water. It used to make very short work of boiling 2 qts of water from snow. For cooking, I have a neat little propane 2 burner Kangaroo Kitchen. It isn't real compact but smaller than a Coleman. It bakes, barbeques (and smokes with hickory or mesquite chips), boils, or fries with a griddle, then the base and top become your wash basins for doing the dishes.
Man, talk about a blast from the past. Yeah, those were great little stoves. The Kangaroo Kitchen. Man, talk about old school. Do they even still make them? I don't think I've seen one since the 80's. Were neat if you had all the accessories.

Ed Call

I still carry a Campingaz stove that is just a head with three wings that clips onto the blue fuel canister. I'm sure I should have some more modern stove than that, but it too nests into the pots that I cook in and weighs so very little. When I go out with the family I'll bring a bigger stove for cooking of full meals. Solo or with just a buddy the small stove is fine for a one pot meal.

Jerry, which one of the three of those ugly mugs is the bulldog? That is a good photo of the trio in the boat!

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
LOL Ed, not sure which is which. :)

Truthfully speaking, I only bring a big stove IF I have multiple people in the boat. But even then, I have one of those Mr Buddy heaters that's in a cage that I can flip over and use as a stove (it's designed that way actually). But rarely ever use it. Most of the time I'm usually just fishing. Bring a sack lunch. The pic above of me cooking on the bank was a fluke. My injury (I'm permanently disabled, so flares up occasionally) flared up on our trip. So when we got off the river the day before, I was hurting bad, and had to take some pain meds and crash. So had that dinner I was going to cook for the guys that night. So I just tossed it into a cooler, tossed in a stove and tank, and made shore lunch that day. That's an EXCEPTION not a rule. I prefer to just fish from sun up to sun down during salmon season. Especially since the days are shorter anyways.

Buck

"Ride'n Dirty."
noooo.... never turn ur back on the alllmight whisper light. how dare u disgrace its name!

ok i admit there is some other good stoves... but i<3 whisperlight.

btw, i can teach u how to cook pizza, pancakes, cake, etc on a whisperlight. basically, u prime the stove, let out the pressure from the bottle, relight it with opnly 2-3 pumps of pressure, then take ur windscreen and make it into a burger king crown that ur pot sits on (3-4 inches higher then normal) then you build a small twig fire on the lid. you can have some really great results with this method for low heat baking.
I had intermittent results with the wisperlight, and I bought it on number of customers that loved it so! I like the idea and consept of Jetboil and would head that direction next.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Man, talk about a blast from the past. Yeah, those were great little stoves. The Kangaroo Kitchen. Man, talk about old school. Do they even still make them? I don't think I've seen one since the 80's. Were neat if you had all the accessories.
My late Brother worked for the mfg back in the 80s and gave one to me. My younger Brother has one too. No, not made any more. Yes, I have the entire kit, and like it a lot.

I had intermittent results with the wisperlight, and I bought it on number of customers that loved it so! I like the idea and consept of Jetboil and would head that direction next.
one thing about whisperlites is they do require maintence from time to time (fuel hose, pump orings) but what i love about it is with a small repair kit u can fix the stove in the field with ease.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
My late Brother worked for the mfg back in the 80s and gave one to me. My younger Brother has one too. No, not made any more. Yes, I have the entire kit, and like it a lot.
They were cool little stoves. One of our hunting partners had one. Was pretty damned cool (and as a teenager at the time, I thought they were the cats meow). Larry was supposed to get me one, but never happened. So still have my old coleman propane conversion 2 burner. In fact, just handed it down to my son.

Latest posts