Is there a "beginner's guide" for tube flies?

I'm not familiar with them but I was wondering how effective they are for stipping flies to Salmon in spawning rivers? Is there a beginner's 101 guide to understanding, using, and tieing tube flies? Thanks.

Philster

The original tube flies book is outdated in terms of materials and techniques. Kind of like comparing the original fly plates in Trey Combs first steelhead book to what we expect from a good fly today. Doesn't make it bad. Just makes it not a good instructional book for now. I own it and have no plans of getting rid of it, but I use it more as a coffee table book. Enjoyable reading, which it is an example of the highest order if you're a fly nerd.

I would definitely look online. And if you wanted to spend money I would look at a video by Mikael Frodin. Skandahoovian style flies tied with modern materials and style.

Jim Mcallister

AKA stillwater guy
I will be tieing flies at cabeles on oct 29 -30 from 12;00 -4:00 come by and I will show you what I know.So far I have caught pinks,SRC and a chum on tubes . Yah I,am sold on them.

Philster

I will be tieing flies at cabeles on oct 29 -30 from 12;00 -4:00 come by and I will show you what I know.So far I have caught pinks,SRC and a chum on tubes . Yah I,am sold on them.
Nice score on the gig! Visibility a-plenty! Make sure your shirt is a nice background color for what you're tying.:rofl: But seriously. I've seen Lafontaine and Clouser make that mistake...

Latest posts