The best way to take fish pictures.

I never remove my fish from the water. If it is worthy of recording the catch on camera it is worthy of the least possible streses.
I beach my fish as the very good detailed account.
I am already planning the position for the pose.
Fish have a very handy reflex fish have that induces temporary paralysis called tonic dystonia. Turn any fish upside down in the water and it will immediately stop struggling. I then lay the "hypnotized" over next to the butt of my fly rod fish in water and quickly snap some photos. I used a Nikon 35 mm viewfinder camera for years which was water proofed to down to ten feet. It had a manual focus for the difference in the refraction index of water from air for underwater photography. I need a digital equivalent now. Nothing is more nerve racking than having to worry about getting your expensive camera wet. I have added wrappings at 12, 14, 16, 18 and 20 inches on my rods which provides good scale reference points. If I fished for steelhead more I would make the measurement wrappings further out so I have wraps at 30 to 40 inches.
Whenever possible I find it is faster to land any Trout or steelhead if you can get below and down stream from the fish. They fight the current to stay heading upstream instead of running so far down stream you lose that element of control. Short, tight lines minimize lost fish and lands them quicker.

dflett68

WFF Supporter
In the state of Washington it is illegal to remove fully from the water any fish that is required for release!
a fish intended for release should not be removed from the water anyway.. So if you are taking pictures of wild steelhead and the fish is out of the water you are 1 wrong and 2 preforming an illegal act.

recent studies have shown that rainbow trout that were exercised and then held out of the water for 10 seconds had a HIGH mortality rate and that the mortality rate grew exponentially with more seconds out of water.
KEEP THEIR MOUTH AND GILLS IN THE WATER!!!

Would love to see the studies and know the details of both the conditions, subjects, performers and procedures of the test, as well as the results in detail. I have read things like this all my angling life, and the basic logic of being careful and thoughtful and brief in both playing and handling a fish for release is very intuitive. But if some of the things claimed were true, one would expect to see dead trout floating all over a place like, for example, Rocky Ford. Tons of anglers, tons of trophy sized fish getting handled very badly and caught and photographed over and over. All in all, I see people hold fish out of the water virtually every time I go fishing, but I VERY RARELY see evidence of mortality even in an aquarium like RF.

Stewart

Skunk Happens
In the state of Washington it is illegal to remove fully from the water any fish that is required for release!

I can find a reference to steelhead, salmon, and Dolly Varden/Bull Trout (page 21 of the pdf). Are you sure about "any" fish?

Dustin Bise

reformed hot-spotter
I never remove my fish from the water. If it is worthy of recording the catch on camera it is worthy of the least possible streses.
I beach my fish as the very good detailed account.
I am already planning the position for the pose.
Fish have a very handy reflex fish have that induces temporary paralysis called tonic dystonia. Turn any fish upside down in the water and it will immediately stop struggling. I then lay the "hypnotized" over next to the butt of my fly rod fish in water and quickly snap some photos. I used a Nikon 35 mm viewfinder camera for years which was water proofed to down to ten feet. It had a manual focus for the difference in the refraction index of water from air for underwater photography. I need a digital equivalent now. Nothing is more nerve racking than having to worry about getting your expensive camera wet. I have added wrappings at 12, 14, 16, 18 and 20 inches on my rods which provides good scale reference points. If I fished for steelhead more I would make the measurement wrappings further out so I have wraps at 30 to 40 inches.
Whenever possible I find it is faster to land any Trout or steelhead if you can get below and down stream from the fish. They fight the current to stay heading upstream instead of running so far down stream you lose that element of control. Short, tight lines minimize lost fish and lands them quicker.

In regards to squawfish, turning them upside does not work. they death flop forever.

G

golfman65

ahhh..we care so much but seem to forget this is a blood sport...I'm not sure what is worse, watching guys spent 5 minutes with wild fish out of the water...seeing them take fish out of the water in freezing temps which damn near freezes the fish alive...or being so concerned as the S.O.W. subscribes and leaving them in the water, thrashing around on rocks on the shore but maintaining they are doing the right thing by not lifting it?

How bout bringing your fish in next to you in 2-3 feet of water, grabbing the tail, take your shot and let it go? Got a bud and want a pic. hand him the camera and raise the fish but still leave it in the water..snap and go...Nice fish, want a shot of the rod to? Put it down in closer, slid the fish in and snap...Shit this stuff was 101 back in the day...

Accept that there is no perfect answer or don't fish...

G

golfman65

ahhh..we care so much but seem to forget this is a blood sport...I'm not sure what is worse, watching guys spent 5 minutes with wild fish out of the water...seeing them take fish out of the water in freezing temps which damn near freezes the fish alive...or being so concerned as the S.O.W. subscribes and leaving them in the water, thrashing around on rocks on the shore but maintaining they are doing the right thing by not lifting it?

How bout bringing your fish in next to you in 2-3 feet of water, grabbing the tail, take your shot and let it go? Got a bud and want a pic. hand him the camera and raise the fish but still leave it in the water..snap and go...Nice fish, want a shot of the rod to? Put it down in closer, slid the fish in and snap...Shit this stuff was 101 back in the day...

Accept that there is no perfect answer or don't fish...

I for some reason have gotten to the point that I don't like my mug in the shot..if it was a real trophy, something close to or over 20lbs..yeah I might...but I really like shots like this more..These are my kelowna buds, who catch nice fish...mine are normally so much smaller I can leave them in 4' of water and get a good shot lol..

Or maybe it's my buddies idea of funny to get the stupidest shot they can of me that has taken the fun of it? god if you looked like number 4 would you want your picture taken?

kamishak steve

Rob,
That steelhead was not caught in washington, so it was not an illegal act.
Performing is spelled with the r after the e, not preforming. Here is an example of correct use: You are performing an act of terrible spelling.
If you read my original post, I was very clear that no fish should be removed from the water for more than 4 seconds.
10 seconds > 4 seconds, so I'm not really sure what your point was about fish mortality rates when held out of the water for more than 10 seconds in regards to my post.
You were somewhat unclear about how "you are 1 wrong" (referring to me). What topic specifically was I wrong about? Please elaborate, I look forward to your response.

kamishak steve

Apistomaster,

Great point about turning the fish upside down. I'm not sure if it is true for all fish, but that has certainly been my experience with trout, salmon, and steelhead. It has something to do with the inner ear function of those fish, I should look into it more specifically, because it is really interesting (not to mention handy for calming those suckers down and getting the hook out quickly).
I also totally agree with your point about getting downstream of the fish to land them. I think if you check over my post again, I mentioned that as a good strategy.
Also, when fishing in super cold water, how do you manually adjust the lens on that camera? I would think it would be a little cold to stick your head in the water to look through the viewfinder, or is it a camera you just use for diving or something like that?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts