Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Atomic Buffalo Turds!!! and other superbowl treats

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  bitterroot 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Thats the first thing that came to my mind. Even before I saw who it was posting this. Bitterroot, you really need to learn your limits. Or keep close to the bathroom.

#9 ·
I have often made an appetizer that consisted of pitted medjool dates wrapped in bacon and broiled. They have always been a huge hit, so adding a small wedge of medjool date to the ABTs might give 'em a little sweet kick. I might have to give that a try.

#11 ·
I do my ABT's full. I don't cut mine in half. I vary up what I put into it. In fact, I'll add little smokies to the bigger jalapenos. I've done everything from crab, shrimp, etc to lil smokies, ground pork, etc (even small fried bacon bits).

I slow smoke mine. These are my traditional ones I make. Just cut top off, core, then add a dolop of cream cheese, a small piece of block cheese (this had pepper jack), back fill with cream cheese. Then top with a pinned piece of bacon. Smoke for a couple hours, until bacon gets crispy and the shell of jalapeno gets a little soft (but still crisp inside). I always let them rest 30-40 minutes. Lets the cheese combine and not so damned hot to eat.

As it goes into smoker.

and after they get pulled out

That was the tester run (ok, ok, it was the snack for the cook before the party) for my new years party. Here's the real load as it went in with the ribeyes that were smoking.

The nice thing though about cutting them like up in Lonnies link, you can see the membrane. If you have a big thick yellow membrane, that baby will be HOT. If you see virtually no membrane, will be mild. Seeds are a myth. Actually watched a show on the food network of the guy called "Dr Jalapeno". He's actually made jalapenos with zero heat. He's a scientist who's bred new styles of peppers. But he even said the seeds aren't what make them hot, it's the membrane.

#14 ·
I love hot too. Funny though how much a jalapeno can differ. Probably why they have such a wide range on the scolville unit. I did have one of my soldiers get me two bottles of hot stuff. It's not "hot sauce" but it's used for enhancing soups, stews, etc. Has warnings (real warnings not fake) on the sides. They are nuclear hot, literally. Way outta my range to try. But bottles look cool. :)

I do also make a hamburger roll. It's like a peroshki. Can vary up insides depending on what your tastes for the game is. Looks like this (can be done in oven in a pan too).

and look like this inside (usually has a bit more stuff inside)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.