just got my first vise!

I am going to try this tying thing. any suggestions on an easy first fly to tie. I know this is going to be hard but I can't wait to start. Wish me luck.

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
A wooley bugger or simple nymph.. Pick up "Fly Tying Made Simple" by Skip Morris.. A lot will depend on what materials you have of course! Good luck and enjoy!

Chad Lewis

NEVER wonder what to do with your free time
Flybill got it. The wooley bugger is many a fly tier's first fly. Soft hackles are also good flies to start with- easy to tie and they catch the fish.

McNasty

Canyon Lurker
my first fly i tied this christmas was an elk hair caddis and parachute adams. just from learning those 2 from instructional videos and getting some basics down i figured most everything else out i tie now just by looking at things. so those 2 may be a good start

If you fish stillwaters, chironomids are an easy tie. Now that I think about it, even if you don't fish lakes. Mids work in moving water too.

I've just started working through Charlie Craven's beginner book after someone here reccommended it. It's a really great book, walks you through every step with great pictures and each fly builds on the last.

hydrological

beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto
what kind of vice? smoking, drinking, loose women?

second the motion for the bugger, great foundation, and they work for almost any fish, everywhere.

FT

The easiest fly for someone to learn fly tying on is a simple soft hackle spider. It is simplicity itself. Here is the pattern:

Body: tying thread, whatever color suits your fance
Hackle: hen neck, hen saddle, Hungarian Patridge, grouse, ringneck pheasant body or rump feather, and similar soft, webby feathers.

That is all there is to the fly. Tying these simple tail less spiders with thread bodies will teach you how to start the tying thread, wrap thread in close, tight against each other turns, how to tie-in hackle feathers, wrap hackle feathers, tie-off hackle feathers, and make a small thread head and tie it off.

From this simple fly, add a tail of the same feather you are hackling the fly with and you now are learning how to tie in tails. Plus, this now makes for a nice nymph imitation.

Then make the body from chenile or wool and you have the ubiquitous GREY and BROWN hackles by simply using grizzly or brown hackle and adding a tail of red.

Next, make the body from floss and learn how to tie and use floss. Make the body from yarn, and you now know how to make a yarn bodied fly. Then make the body from dubbing and you learn how to make a dubbed body. Vary the colors to match natural nymphs, or tie wet flies without the wings and you will have very effective and simple to tie flies while increasing your tying skills and techniques.

Buy some dry fly hackle (either neck or saddle) and use fibers from one of the larger feathers for the tail, dub the body, and wrap a proper size hackle and you have a wingless dry fly. Yes, wingless dry flies work.

You can then add a simple wing of pheasant rump feather fibers and you have a downwing wet. Then make the wing out of caftail, and you have a hairwing wet. Make the wing out of poly yarn, Z-lon, antron, or caftail and stand it up and you have a dry fly.

Approaching the learning of fly tying in this manner allows you to a variety of different colored flies, keep adding parts to the fly in a logical and orderly manner, and continuously increase your tying skills and knowledge.

in addition to books, i have found YouTube to be an excellent resource.
Congratulations on your purchase.
Next thing u know ...u will be mingling among the housewives and craftTypes at your local Yarn & Fabric Stores, with your imagination running wild, about what u can & want to do with all the .....................materials...
.................get your mind out of the gutter.....:rofl:

Hell, I got my first vice in grade school when I found a copy of True Magazine stuffed under the seat in my Dad's VW Beetle in the late 50's...Wait, sorry, got confused. Go with the bugger or wooly worm. They plain flat catch fish, and very often, the uglier, the better. Tie a few and experiment. Tie a bunch and experiment. And, have fun.

Latest posts