Rattlesnake Fly?

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
I tied these a while back We had a thread going on the subject a while, but I was too lazy to dig for it. And we didn't even drum up who the tier was or the materials for the fly so this thread is already more informative on the subject.
I want to take the flies to somewhere like owyhee or somewhere with some wild trout
IMG_4568.JPG

BaldBob

Pretty cool! However, if I ever met a live-bait guy fishing the real thing somewhere I'd call him "Sir" . . . and leave . . . quickly, lol.
Many years ago at a lake in the Winthrop area I ran into a kid of about 10 who was catching fish hand over fist while no one else was doing any good. I asked him what he was using - "Oh these little stinging worms" and he proceded to show ma a can full of baby rattlesnakes. I asked how many times he had been stung - "Oh just a couple" , I quickly found his mother & had her take him to the hospital. Never did find out the outcome.

Many years ago at a lake in the Winthrop area I ran into a kid of about 10 who was catching fish hand over fist while no one else was doing any good. I asked him what he was using - "Oh these little stinging worms" and he proceded to show ma a can full of baby rattlesnakes. I asked how many times he had been stung - "Oh just a couple" , I quickly found his mother & had her take him to the hospital. Never did find out the outcome.
Bob,

I was that kid... thanks for saving my life....

Seriously, I've been hearing that story since I was 10 years old.

The locations always change...

Hooking a live rattlesnake to a fly line is called a trip to the laundrymat
rather than fishing.

Watching the video this morning, I have to say, that fish is a HOG!
Mean looking critter too. I guess when you live with rattlesnakes,
you have to be tough.

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
I've had a live snake on the end of a fishing line once. I snagged an aggressive watersnake as a kid and then realized the only way the snake was getting unhooked was dead. Didn't try to catch them after that.

GAT

Dumbfounded
What kind of sound does a the rattle of a rattlesnake make underwater? blubllbu blubl bllbubl bubllblb ?

I'd need to fish many more years before coming up with the idea to tie a rattlesnake pattern.

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"
I mentioned this before, but two summers ago I caught a nice 19 inch native coastal cutthroat in a lake on a dry. While releasing it, I noticed something deep in it's throat. A very good sized garter snake. Yes sir. :eek:

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
What kind of sound does a the rattle of a rattlesnake make underwater? blubllbu blubl bllbubl bubllblb ?

I'd need to fish many more years before coming up with the idea to tie a rattlesnake pattern.
I wonder if this is how the bass guys came up with the idea to use rattles with thier rubber worms ?

Latest posts