San Juans/Orcas Island

Andy

Workin in a sweet mullet
What kind of success can one expect fishing the beaches out there?

I have seen that its a "voluntary" no bottom fishing zone, but what about SRCs.... never been there, just curious.

ibn

I used to live in Olga on Orcas, there is a small bay near Olga, called Buck Bay, it has a little creek dumping into it that used to get a small chum run. There is a cool rock in the middle of the bay and lots of eel grass, as a kid I was too young to think about fishing for SRC's there, I do recall seeing fish rise in the bay, and I've always wanted to go back there and try the spot.

I've also seen folks catch fish at obstruction pass.

-I

Kent Lufkin

Remember when you could remember everything?
There's trout on Orcas Island too. Several miles north of Doe Bay is community of expensive new homes built around a lake - Eagle Lake as I recall.

A few years ago, we joined another family for Easter weekend and stayed in Deer Harbor. My friend and I snuck away one morning and parked my rig on one of the unbuilt lots along the lake. We put our tubes in to a stretch in the NW corner behind a small island and each caught 30 or more little RBs to 12" before heading back to join the ladies and kids for lunch.

ibn

Yeah, lots of trout on Orcas. Eagle lake is good like fortuna pointed out, my favorite is to park at mountain lake and hike the 2 or so miles into twin lakes, big twin is full of hungry brookies who will eat anything that floats. Cascade lake can be real good, but it's often full of people as it's right on the park road.

Mountain lake can be very productive for big trout as well.

-I

not much for SRCs in the islands just for lack of natal streams. im pretty sure all SRCs found there if any would have migrated unusually far from their homes. although the east sound oyster field might be a place to start. my girlfreind owns a cabin up on the north beach of orcas and we have a blast catching rockfish, ling and salmon. got my girlfreind into a 20lb king and i lost a similar sized king to a seal(chased it all the way to matia). this was on gear of course. definitely worth flyfishing for the bottomfish if you had sinking line but i wouldnt bother too much on salmon on the fly as their concentrations aren't high enough IMO to likely be caught on a fly.

it always has seemed wierd to me that people go up to the islands and then go to cascade lake ot mt constitution, i mean ive always gone up there for the saltwater, you know, salmon, lings and crab, not hatchery trout. it's just child's play when y'r up there. -ryan

its advertised on the back of the fishing regs. some organization is promoting or asking people to release all rockfish in certain areas that they have deemed as vital strongholds for these rockfish which are on the decline. they say that these areas(which there are only a few and they are rather small) are places where rockfish populations can grow and act as a nursery for the areas rockfish population. they claim that healthy populations in these nurseries will supply the area with a good foundation as the fish are expected to branch off and create new populations(rockfish are a fish that tends to localize). these areas are otherwise legal to catch and keep, it's just a simple recommendation. -ryan

ChrisW

AKA Beadhead
I would agree that SRC in the San Juans would be an anomoly, but if you crack the code, don't advertise it on the site, send me a PM instead. Your secret will be safe with me ;-)
bh

mcoomer

You're still going to tell me though, aren't you Bead Head? I promise I won't spread it any further (than necessary).

Mike

not much for SRCs in the islands just for lack of natal streams. im pretty sure all SRCs found there if any would have migrated unusually far from their homes. although the east sound oyster field might be a place to start. my girlfreind owns a cabin up on the north beach of orcas and we have a blast catching rockfish, ling and salmon. got my girlfreind into a 20lb king and i lost a similar sized king to a seal(chased it all the way to matia). this was on gear of course. definitely worth flyfishing for the bottomfish if you had sinking line but i wouldnt bother too much on salmon on the fly as their concentrations aren't high enough IMO to likely be caught on a fly.

it always has seemed wierd to me that people go up to the islands and then go to cascade lake ot mt constitution, i mean ive always gone up there for the saltwater, you know, salmon, lings and crab, not hatchery trout. it's just child's play when y'r up there. -ryan
Well fly fishing is not child’s play to some. Mountain Lake is quiet and peaceful. Almost always get the lake to myself. There are native cutthroat in there that are great size. Not to mention the Kokanee that are hardly ever fished for. There are monsters in there.

Yeah, lots of trout on Orcas. Eagle lake is good like fortuna pointed out, my favorite is to park at mountain lake and hike the 2 or so miles into twin lakes, big twin is full of hungry brookies who will eat anything that floats. Cascade lake can be real good, but it's often full of people as it's right on the park road.

Mountain lake can be very productive for big trout as well.

-I
Mountain lake has huge cutthroat and Kokanee aswell. They are rarely targeted

If memory serves me adjacent property owners "own" to the average high water line. Any intrusion onto that can e looked at as trespassing. You can float over it but can't anchor.

KerryS

Ignored Member
Well fly fishing is not child’s play to some. Mountain Lake is quiet and peaceful. Almost always get the lake to myself. There are native cutthroat in there that are great size. Not to mention the Kokanee that are hardly ever fished for. There are monsters in there.
Do you realize this thread is over 14 years old? Good info but the op has likely left for home.

Latest posts