My Favorite Beach Lines

mickeyrat

WFF Supporter
Fished from the boat in glorious weather yesterday and used the SA Sonar I/2/3 until my rod snapped. RIP. I borrowed a CQS on another rod and couldn't have changed reels back to that SA fast enough. Several fish like these made it all worthwhile.

Attachments

• 5621~2.jpeg
    5621~2.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 43

skyrise

CCA, Hatchery Wild Coexist
Fished from the boat in glorious weather yesterday and used the SA Sonar I/2/3 until my rod snapped. RIP. I borrowed a CQS on another rod and couldn't have changed reels back to that SA fast enough. Several fish like these made it all worthwhile.
questions. how did the SA line cast weighted fly’s, sink rate ok, coiling/kinking a problem, casting into the wind, match the weight listed for the line? sorry for all of the questions but I need to replace both my Outbound short lines this year.

mickeyrat

WFF Supporter
questions. how did the SA line cast weighted fly’s, sink rate ok, coiling/kinking a problem, casting into the wind, match the weight listed for the line? sorry for all of the questions but I need to replace both my Outbound short lines this year.
Until this last outing all of my experience with this line has been from the beach so being higher in the boat allows for a great view to watch most of your retrieve. That being said, I was a lot more confident in the sink rate I like at my beach. (Not as fast as I thought). I think all the sonar lines are marketed as being a half size heavy and this line is fairly weighty on the reel compared to my intermediates. It's also my go to if it's windy.
Wish I'd taken a comparison photo of the CQS slinky vs the SA line at my feet in the bottom of the boat.
The turnover is great with weighted flies. I was using an articulated jig fly with a 4mm tungsten bead all day with a 7' leader.
It's not without some tangling issues but I blame a lot of that on operater error.
One thing that finally happened to me was the sawing into my middle finger of my casting hand (see picture on my Dupuytrens post). Luckily our guide Cole had some finger sleeves to save the day.

skyrise

CCA, Hatchery Wild Coexist
Until this last outing all of my experience with this line has been from the beach so being higher in the boat allows for a great view to watch most of your retrieve. That being said, I was a lot more confident in the sink rate I like at my beach. (Not as fast as I thought). I think all the sonar lines are marketed as being a half size heavy and this line is fairly weighty on the reel compared to my intermediates. It's also my go to if it's windy.
Wish I'd taken a comparison photo of the CQS slinky vs the SA line at my feet in the bottom of the boat.
The turnover is great with weighted flies. I was using an articulated jig fly with a 4mm tungsten bead all day with a 7' leader.
It's not without some tangling issues but I blame a lot of that on operater error.
One thing that finally happened to me was the sawing into my middle finger of my casting hand (see picture on my Dupuytrens post). Luckily our guide Cole had some finger sleeves to save the day.
Mickeyrat, hey thanks. I think the SA has moved to the top of my list.

Squamishpoacher

I heard that Rio has stopped making the Outbound Short but replacing it under their Premier banner with a slicker coat. Could make a great beach line even better. My 9'6" 8 wt Echo E3 launches this line very nicely

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I heard that Rio has stopped making the Outbound Short but replacing it under their Premier banner with a slicker coat. Could make a great beach line even better. My 9'6" 8 wt Echo E3 launches this line very nicely

They still make it. The premier is their new core
which replaced the InTouch core and they added the super slick coating.
The premier allows them to offer a clear portion on the head again on some models of the OBS.
SF

Squamishpoacher

They still make it. The premier is their new core
which replaced the InTouch core and they added the super slick coating.
The premier allows them to offer a clear portion on the head again on some models of the OBS.
SF

That's good news. I miss the clear tip.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts