Anyone Seen One Of These?1498 Compound?

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
Martin and other similar reels are often refered to as Tuna Can reels as they are made of thin stamped (pressed into shape) metal like a tuna can. Never the less, they are certainly servicable reels and the multipliers can make quite a racket that some enjoy. Nothing at all wrong with a usable reel that may last for the rest of your fishing life with a reasonable amount of care, for $20.

The best thing you could do with it is take it apart, clean and lubricate it before using. This could add considerably to its usable life.

TC

Thanks for your advise.
That was my first move..used lithium grease
and put a bit of loctite on the screws [or I would
have exposed the innards]
It seems to be nearly identical to the 1498.
BTX,they`re still in product.Did not know that...
Thanks for the info

That is not a Martin, that is a Pflueger 1498 that was made into a mulitplier. There was a guy somewhere who made a business out of converting em for a short time. They are not still in production. Martin made the "tuna can" reels, they were indeed very lightweight reels, but not multipliers. Martin makes a very sturdy, heavy duty muliplier--MG72. They also make a slightly smaller one--MG10. What you have is a Pflueger.
For $20 you got a neat piece.

That is not a Martin, that is a Pflueger 1498 that was made into a mulitplier. There was a guy somewhere who made a business out of converting em for a short time. They are not still in production. Martin made the "tuna can" reels, they were indeed very lightweight reels, but not multipliers. Martin makes a very sturdy, heavy duty muliplier--MG72. They also make a slightly smaller one--MG10. What you have is a Pflueger.
For $20 you got a neat piece.

Tx for the info.I have seen the multiplier kit [some guy wanted $80 for it-an outrage] but 8it wasn`t this particulalrly lovely shade of crimson...

Latest posts