Help please in filling a box for cutthroats in Montana in July

Got a pal who is off to Montana with his eyes on stillwater cutts. Just wondering what to help him out with as far as a selection of flies that I could tye for him.

In the UK we fish with smaller sizes because our insects are smaller as you know.

If you have any ideas could you include hook sizes.

Thanks in advance

:)

5-shot is right on. I would only add a size 14 wet gold-ribbed hares ear. For cuts I usually rely on size 12 in dries. If fishing heavily fished water I may drop down to #16. If I'm short on tying time I go with 14s. Just my experience!! Duane J (by the way where in Montana is the gent going--it will make a difference in sizes)

5-shot is right on. I would only add a size 14 wet gold-ribbed hares ear. For cuts I usually rely on size 12 in dries. If fishing heavily fished water I may drop down to #16. If I'm short on tying time I go with 14s. Just my experience!! Duane J (by the way where in Montana is the gent going--it will make a difference in sizes)

add a 16 or 18 lightning bug and a pheasant tail nymph. also some salmon fly stuff if the time is right. that high they wont hatch till july. dont forget a red san juan worm and a pink globug. have fun. mike w

Where you will be, fishing is going to be so good, it wont matter!

Truthfully though, I would bring terrestrials like flying ant patterns. I would bring a few great big size 8 cherynobl ants, cutts love those things. Lightning bugs as was said before, hare's ear nymphs, and lots of parachute adams in a few different sizes between 12 and 18. Toss in some wooly buggers (heavily weighted of course) and you'd be more than set.

Latest posts