Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

looking for someone to float with

5K views 60 replies 15 participants last post by  francis james hunnycut 
#1 ·
hey y'all. Ive been wading around the sky swinging for these damn steelhead. I would love to float my pontoon, but I've only used it in lakes and I don't have anyone to go with. is there any other pontooners out there that would be willing to float with me? I would feel alot better going with someone that has done it before. I've never caught a steelie on a fly rod, and Ive been trying for 3 damn years now. My fishing buddy has yet to embrace fly fishing as I have, I'm sure he is up at reiter throwing bait as we speak...The guys at pacific fly in mill creek said I should try and find like-minded fishermen on here, so here I am. I'm an avid fisherman and outdoorsman, a pretty easygoing fella, herb friendly and environmentally conscious. I'm pushin 40 now and am well on my way to becoming a grumpy old fart that talks to my fly box....

#8 ·
thank you for the advice panhandle. I have considered hiring a guide, I just don't really wanna jam up and down the river in a jet boat. I'm there for the serenity. I'm not against hiring a guide, but it is a bit like paying for sex, methinks. I'm not against paying for sex either, but honestly I would rather do things the old fashioned way. You would think with all the time I spend "courting" these steelhead I would get lucky at some point!

I certainly don't wish to "trip anyone out", but if an aging hippie floating the river trips you out I would say you are too uptight. here's what trips me out.

people that leave their trash on the river for me to clean up and pack out.
people that do not think the regulations apply to them.
thieves and liars, including politicians.
people that cut in downstream from me limiting my swing
guys in skinny jeans.
people that think power bait is the best thing ever invented

#36 ·
Hey pig! Once a pig , always a pig right ? :) Francis, skillet is harmless, I doubt he catches 100 + fish a year, so no legend round these parts hombre
I just want to fish. I want to meet up with other people that enjoy fly fishing as much as I do. I floated the sky tonight with a really cool guy and had a blast, and I'm floating the stilly monday with another cat that seems like a good fella. So if some self appointed fishing goddess gets his thrills by razzin someone that admittedly still has a lot to learn, he is on a different path than me and I'm not really interested. I'm certainly not gonna let some troll take the jam outta my doughnut. I would love to fish with ya, bhudda, you seem like a straight shooter. After getting my first float in tonight I'm all jazzed up! Didn't hook into anything but it sure felt good to be out there swinging!

#38 ·
Francis, consider joining a local fly fishing club. I'm not local, but I'm sure there's several around that have members who will help you. I've never been a "club" type of guy, but since joining mine, I've met some really interesting folk with common interests; one is 92 years old, ties beautifully, casts like a machine and is still sharp as a razor. Others fish as much as 300 days/year and are willing to go anywhere, anytime. A lot of knowledge there, and some really great folk. You can get involved as much or as little as you wish.

#43 ·
Panhandle, you might want to hire a high school student to spell check your site this summer. Reading it is pure "torcher". ;)

#44 ·
Holy hannah! this is outta control! Are you in law enforcement, panhandle? If you were a gang star I would go by P-handle, you know, like P.diddy?! HA! I got no beef with cops, some of them are good people. You sure seem to like to razz hippies, though. no big whoop. My daddy was a *******, mamma was a hippie, so I'm like some crazy hybrid...best of both worlds, baby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.