Reference Materials

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
Which fly tying books do you find most useful? I have several of the popular, large format, books by noted authors but I find myself rarely using them. Instead, my annual catalog from "The Fly Shop" (Redding, CA) has become my primary reference tool. I'm pretty much able to figure out the tying sequence on most patterns just by seeing the photo. They always have a large list of flies and they are broken into groups making the catalog more than just a catalog of goods. The Orvis catalogs are pretty good as well, but I still like the one from this shop.

Magazines have the obvious luxury of being updated each year, plus they're fully intended to sell you stuff, and the new stuff. :)I'm a big fan the The Fly Shop's catalog. Cabela's fly fishing catalog isn't as extensive or trendy, but it's not a horrible reference either, especially if you're aiming for slightly more standby, tried-n-true ideas.

Books? I only get them if it's hard to understand how the stuff is done. I'm a huge fan of Barr's overly-thorough book, though a lot of the same instructions are now available on Charlie Craven's site. But there were several patterns in there I'd never heard of, plus his insight into fishing them, color schemes, that sort of stuff.

I have Clouser's book on bass flies. Same format, good book. Shane Stalcup's mayfly book has a lot of interesting stuff in it.

I generally look more towards books for techniques and new material concerns. I've never tied bonefish flies, for example. So if I was going to I might very well get a book on it at first, and then use the internet from there.

I don't know if Kelly Galloup has a streamer-tying book, but I'd be game. But there are also several video (internet) available now on some of his patterns. I'd love to see a good, comprehensive streamer book that covers several styles and techniques--spinning hair, wool, bucktail, bunny, articulation, etc.

I Wish there was a good book on the latest steelhead flies--articulated styles, intruders, all that stuff that's come out in the last several years.

Chad Lewis

NEVER wonder what to do with your free time
I get about 90% of my fly patterns from the internet. You -tube is a favorite, and Charlie Craven's Fly Box is up there too. I've never tackled reverse engineering a fly from a catalog picture. The biggest problem for me would be figuring out what materials to use. Sometimes I'll pick up a fly from a shop and figure out how to tie it; seems easier to me when I have it in my hand. When I'm figuring out how to tie a fly, the Fly Tier's Benchside Reference is awesome.

For books, I have a few and tie flies from them fairly regularly.

tkww, Kelly Galloup does have a streamer book, and I recommend it.

Latest posts