New guy here

Hey all, I am new to this site and to spey fishing for steelhead. I have caught plenty of steelhead on a center pin and conventional gear but have yet to get one on a spey rod in WA (caught a few on the Wallowa). This is a really new guy question but what is fishing the swing? I unfortunately have week days off and serious monetary constraints so I can't make the free clinic or pay to go to one during the week. Any help on how to actually fish these flies would be much appreciated.


Active Member
"Fishing the swing" is the traditional method of fly fishing for steelhead (or for Atlantic salmon, for that matter). It is also referred to as the wet-fly swing and, in its simplest form, consists of making a quartering, downstream cast, making a mend, or mends, and allowing the fly to swing until it comes to rest hanging downstream ("the hangdown"). usually, the angler then takes a step or two downstream and repeats the cast; a very effective means of covering the water.

Latest posts