Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Backpacking stove

10K views 69 replies 38 participants last post by  cuponoodle breakfast 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get a decent quality backpacking stove on a budget. I'd love to get a used one in good condition to save money. What would you guys recommend as far as models or features for an entry level backpacking stove?

#2 ·
You have two main options to start out with - liquid fuel or canister fuel. Liquid fuel is typically cheaper, better in colder weather and can be better for cooking large meals and on long trips, but these stoves also require a little more maintainence and are more complicated to use (priming and pumping the stove before use, refilling fuel bottles, etc). Canister stoves are usually smaller, lighter, and easier to use (turn on the gas and light), but the fuel cans can be more expensive and on long trips you have to carry around multiple cans. A good beginner canister stove will be about $20-$50, where a good beginner liquid fuel stove might be twice as much.

#3 ·
I have two, a Jetboil and an MSR Dragonfly. If I had to do it over again, I would pick up an MSR canister stove. I can't remember the name, but it's 40-50 dollars.

Assuming you want to boil water for mountain house meals, a canister stove is plenty. My Dragonfly was expensive and is too much stove for my basic use.

#7 ·
I have two, a Jetboil and an MSR Dragonfly. If I had to do it over again, I would pick up an MSR canister stove. I can't remember the name, but it's 40-50 dollars.

Assuming you want to boil water for mountain house meals, a canister stove is plenty. My Dragonfly was expensive and is too much stove for my basic use.
Exactly the same with me. For convenience and when cooking anything that requires nothing more than boiling water, the JetBoil is perfect. But for frying, sautéing or any cooking that requires a larger flat pan or simmering over a very slow flame, the Dragonfly is the ticket.

Only problem with either (and it's a very minor gripe) is that both make a very loud roaring sound at full throttle. It's most obvious how loud they are as soon as you shut them off.

K

#5 ·
Easiest thing get a soda can some fuel there you go

#8 ·
I like the alcohol stoves (many available on ebay). Right now I'm using one made out of a pop can and it works pretty good. It can be a bit finicky to get going, but not really more so than any liquid fuel stove I've used. It works great for boiling water and can be used for fancier cooking too - many stoves come with a simmering ring for this purpose. The alcohol I use is Heet fuel line drier (yellow bottle). It's pretty cheap and available at any gas station, store, or pretty much wherever.

The alcohol stoves are often really light and simple. Mine takes up no additional space than my cook pot, including fuel.

#10 ·
I'm looking to get a decent quality backpacking stove on a budget. I'd love to get a used one in good condition to save money. What would you guys recommend as far as models or features for an entry level backpacking stove?
I have an old Svea 123 that I bought back in '73. Still works fine. It uses white gas, and a pint bottle can easily last a week. There's nothing in/on it to break, so if you can find a used one, it should still be about as good as new.

#49 ·
Another Svea 123 man here.
Maybe nothing to break but... I bought this thing about the same time and it worked like crap the first few trips. Had a hard time keeping it lit. I realized eventually that either it didn't come with the diffuser, or I'd lost it. At this point it's one of those tried and true friends I won't part with. I'm just not an ounce shaver. There's a bunch of old school guys that use the 123. I've thought about the Jetboils but think I'll stay the course.
Alex - I also use a Kelly Kettle occasionally, mostly car camping though. As they say, a good emergency stove. "The Volcano" or the "Benghazi Boiler".

#11 ·
I've been looking lately too and I was trying to decide b/w something like the Jetboil or the MSR Pocket Rocket. Anyways, while looking aorund I ran across this and it's pretty tempting for the price. It also gets great reviews.

#12 ·
IMHO, the real advantage of the JetBoil or MSR stoves aren't in their burners, convenient fuel cannisters, or push-to-start ignition systems. Rather what makes them so darned compelling is the clever design of their heat-sink pots that securely attach to the stove base and efficiently absorb heat.

Yes, other stoves like the MSR Dragonfly will boil water quicker and more fuel-efficiently. But I find the integrated design and convenience of my Jetboil means it's the stove that comes along on trips instead of my Dragonfly, with its separate fuel bottle, pot and pot holder.

K

#67 ·
IMHO, the real advantage of the JetBoil or MSR stoves aren't in their burners, convenient fuel cannisters, or push-to-start ignition systems. Rather what makes them so darned compelling is the clever design of their heat-sink pots that securely attach to the stove base and efficiently absorb heat.

Yes, other stoves like the MSR Dragonfly will boil water quicker and more fuel-efficiently. But I find the integrated design and convenience of my Jetboil means it's the stove that comes along on trips instead of my Dragonfly, with its separate fuel bottle, pot and pot holder.

K
I love my JetBoil. I went on a guided trip on the Yak last spring, in April, and it was super cold, blustery, and windy (imagine the Yakima being windy, right?). The guide had one of these JetBoil units for heating up water for our hot beverages and Top Ramen, and it was an incredible little unit. I bought one immediately when I got home. Kent hit the nail on the head with this recommendation, IMHO.

#15 ·
Yeah, I can see the advantages of both. I've been going back and forth b/w a Jetboil and a canister stove. Probably 75%+ of what I make on the trail just needs hot water (oatmeal, backpacking meals, coffee, etc). However, if I'm fishing I usually like to keep a couple fish for dinner and like you said a jeboil wouldn't work well for that (unless you have one of their pans).

#18 ·
The criteria you list include:

• Entry level
  • Budget
  • Good condition (which I take to mean reliable)
You don't mention how many people will be served with the stove but I'll assume it will be 1 or 2 most of the time.
There have been some good suggestions listed above. There are MANY good stoves that are affordable, reliable and durable. For what you want, I'd recommend sticking with a cartridge stove (isobutane) as they are cleaner, easier to operate and less finicky due to the extremely clean-burn nature of the fuel.
jetBoil makes some great products, including the new Sumo model suitable for 2 or 3 campers.
http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/sumo-cooking-al.html

The Pocket Rocket is a great stove, and the latest generation is even lighter and more compact than the original. But I actually prefer a stove that's freestanding rather than mounted atop the fuel can.

This is my current favorite "standard" backpacking stove: The Primus ExpressSpider - $70
http://store.primuscamping.com/backpacking-stoves/single-fuel/butane/expressspider-w/windscreen/

If you do want to stay ultralight, go with a canister-mounted stove like MSR's PocketRocket:
http://www.rei.com/product/660163/msr-pocket-rocket-backpacking-stove

Or better yet, MSR's MicroRocket:
http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/rapid-cooking/microrocket/product

If geeking out on components floats your boat, look to the SnowPeak LiteMax Titanium.
http://www.snowpeak.com/stoves/backpacking/litemax-titanium-stove-gst-120.html

All of these are great, durable, reliable stoves. I've used each and every one of them.
What's more all are good brands with a variety of good products. If you are looking for used, include these brands in your search criteria and you will have better luck.

#19 ·
Thanks everyone! Ed so graciously gave me an old campingaz stove because he is a gear whore and had a couple extras. My piecemeal gear setup is starting to come into shape! I can't wait to get out on some trips.

#21 ·
You might take a look at what sort of stove is legal in the forest now; my Kelly Kettle won't pass muster, and I'd be willing to bet the liquid stoves won't either due to the priming requirement. All this depends on fire restrictions though. Another thing to remember is the canister stuff, although folks say won't work as well in cold weather, works fine all year round here. In sub-zero temps it can give problems, but how often do we get to -8 degrees?

If Kelly made a titanium version of their small kettle, and I didn't need to worry about that fire in the base (regarding fire restrictions) I'd go with that if you're only boiling water. But those are big "ifs"!

#22 ·
You might take a look at what sort of stove is legal in the forest now; my Kelly Kettle won't pass muster, and I'd be willing to bet the liquid stoves won't either due to the priming requirement. All this depends on fire restrictions though.\!
That's a good point.

I remember lighting my Svea 123 while backpacking in the Ventana Wilderness in California. I was still in school, majoring in Forestry.

I was in my sleeping bag when I lit the stove and it flared up. I looked around and all I could see was dried leaves. Holding the bottom of the stove in my hand, hoping that it would not get hot all I could think of was "this was NOT going to look good on my resume".

Now all you have to worry about is paying for the cost of the forest fire. If anything flies, just declare bankruptcy at the front end and save everybody the trouble. If nothing flies, your homeowners and liability insurance might cover it if your lucky and have plenty of insurance.

#24 ·
I bought an Optimus 8 in 1972 and have been using it ever since. Does require priming and that can be tricky but with experience it's not a big deal. I'm pretty sure it will last 100 years. It looks like a square box when it's closed up and pretty easy to pack. Expensive new but probably a zillion of them in garages all over the PNW.

Craig

G
#42 ·
I bought an Optimus 8 in 1972 and have been using it ever since. Does require priming and that can be tricky but with experience it's not a big deal. I'm pretty sure it will last 100 years. It looks like a square box when it's closed up and pretty easy to pack. Expensive new but probably a zillion of them in garages all over the PNW.

Craig
You can buy a new gas tank cap with a valve built into it and a mini hand pump to put a end for the need to prime the stove

#25 ·
Some of the older canister type stoves you can't get fuel for any more. I have a Globe Trotter that uses the canister. It punctures the the top, and you have to use all the fuel before changing it out.

I replaced that one with a little stove by SOTO. It's just a little burner that screws directly onto a canister. It's nice and convienient. Packs into my pots and pans real easily too.

I also have a MSR Whisper Light. It has two basic settings. Off and HOT!

#26 ·
Mumbles hooked me up with a campingaz canister top stove a bit back. I did a test run that night and it boiled a pint in just a few minutes. used it camping twice now and and more than happy with it, especially for the price :D

#27 ·
Mumbles hooked me up with a campingaz canister top stove a bit back. I did a test run that night and it boiled a pint in just a few minutes. used it camping twice now and and more than happy with it, especially for the price :D
That's my favorite stove, it'll last forever. Make sure to take the canister to bed with you on cold nights. They put out less BTUs when cold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.