Hooks

Hi everyone Im new in this forum and new to steelhead fly fishing, I have being tying for couple years for saltwater and trout but never for steelhead, I will be moving to WA in less than 2 weeks and I would like to know, if is possible what patterns are a most to have in my fly box but more important what sizes of hooks I should get I have heard from 3/0 down to 10. Any advice will be greatly appreciate, thanks and tight lines

Preston

Hook sizes will vary depending upon the prevailing water conditions. Larger sizes, of course are more commonly used during the winter when water levels tend to be higher and the water more colored. During summer's low, clear, water conditions, smaller sizes are more effective. I rarely tie or fish smaller than size 8 for the summer and I usually fish more neutrally colored-flies; Spade and it's lighter-colored cousin, Burlap, are simple to tie and effective. Summer and fall low water conditions are also great times to fish waking patterns and one of the best is Harry Lemire's Grease-Liner.

Larger flies are usually fished during the winter, though I rarely fish anything bigger than 1/0. Imagination seems to be the only restriction on winter patterns but don't forget that many of the old "classic" Northwest patterns still work as well as they ever did: Skykomish Sunrise, Purple Peril, Brad's Brat, Headrick Hellcat and Polar Shrimp are only a few examples.

Larger flies are usually fished during the winter, though I rarely fish anything bigger than 1/0. Imagination seems to be the only restriction on winter patterns but don't forget that many of the old "classic" Northwest patterns still work as well as they ever did: Skykomish Sunrise, Purple Peril, Brad's Brat, Headrick Hellcat and Polar Shrimp are only a few examples.
Thanks for the reminder Preston . I had completely forgotten about this little-known pattern .

More about the late Mr. Headrick here .http://www.wffc.com/pdf/CreelNotes_07_11.pdf

Latest posts