Project "Derilict"

#1
I've thought about building a pram for several years, but could never find a convenient time to "pull the trigger", until I saw a "project pram" advertised on Craig's List. The guy had started a stitch & glue Glen-l design, and then decided he wanted something different and the hull sat in his back yard for a year or so. Construction was of Meranti Ply with several layers of glass and epoxy, so it was well sealed from moisture, mud and moss... He was looking for minimal $$ for the materials he had into it and somebody to haul it away...so begins "Project Derilict".

IMGP0669.JPG


After a good pressure washing the work of grinding, sanding and cleaning up some very rough glass and epoxy work began in earnest.

IMGP0671.JPG


IMGP0678.JPG


After getting the hull exterior to an acceptable finish, the interior work began. The original design had full width bench seats that were solidly glassed and taped in place. I wanted pedestal seats, but was hesitant to attack the task of removing the benches that were in place. However, after some head scratching and research, I discovered the ossilating multi tool...what a neat tool! With the half moon cutter, I was able to cut out the seat flush with the deck and sides in about 15 minutes work! If you don't have one in your shop...you should! Think Harbor Freight!

Prior to taking the seats out, I put in the diamond gussets for gunnel strength and support. Next came the gunnel rails that had to be bent and glued to the gunnels. Mahogany worked well for this trim. Then came the new pedastle seats.

IMGP0690.JPG


IMGP0685.JPG


IMGP0693.JPG


Then an epoxy coating of everything, sanding, and fairing, and sanding, and epoxy, and sanding, and more fairing, and sanding some more...! It was a big relief to finally put on the first coat of primer...and then more sanding before the finish coats began.

IMGP0703.JPG


And then finally, "DERILICT" is all dressed up and ready for the dance...!

IMGP0713.JPG


This was a satisfying project, but if you decide to build your own, I would encourage you to make sure that you have lots of time available. Also, have a few more $$ available than the typical blog suggests you need. Marine products, plywood, epoxy, paint, and hardware are expensive!
 
#7
What a great project and final product Dave. I am envious of guys like you who have the talent and time to pull something like this off. Looks like a lot of fun!
Thanks for sharing. I hope you catch a lot of fish out of her!
Well done.
 

IveofIone

Active Member
#8
This looks like it was a great project-turning a sow's ear into a silk purse and doing a splendid job of it. The results speak for themselves, a really nice job. I cant tell from the pictures but are the tops of the pedastals hinged for access to the inside? They would sure hold a mountain of gear and clutter if they are.

I'll give a big Plus 1 on the multi tool. I recently bought a heavy duty Bosch model and it's first job was to cut 40 feet of 3/4" OSB-overhead! No other tool in the world could have done that job.

Ive
 
#9
Thanks Ive and others... Yes, the pedestals are hinged for storage and batterys. As a "large person" with feet to match, I am always concerned about having room to move around... After pondering the situation for a bit, perhaps with an adult beverage or two, I realized that by putting the pedestals in with the "pointy end down" instead of pyramid style with the "pointy end up" I gained several inches of foot room on the deck. In addition, with the big side up, it is easier to get stuff in and out of the boxes...!

I plan to be on the water soon!

Dave
 

Latest posts