Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

south park, co

431 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Mitchell Giddens 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has fished this area before. I have fished on the North fork of the south Platte once on private land and also fished in between the spinney mountain resevoir a couple times. I'm looking to expand my horizons a bit without having to pay for a guide or pay a rod fee. The cheesman canyon looks pretty interesting and I am thinking that the hike in might make for a less crowded river. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated. I am leaving Thursday night and getting back sunday night so I will have 3 days to fish and am staying in fairplay.

#2 ·
Fishing the "Dream Stream" between Elevenmile and Spinney reservoirs can produce some hogs. Kokanee run up there and the browns are spawning around this time, so eggs are a favorite to help get your hero grip and grin shot. It can also be mighty windy there. Cheeseman Canyon is a great place to join the 20/20 club. Zebra midges always worked well there as the temperatures drop this time of year. Also, look for a typical evening caddis hatch at Cheeseman. It can be fun/annoying/frustrating watching fish rise right in front of you as you are switching flies until you get it right. It is rare to find either of these places empty, but they can both be very rewarding places. Let me know if I can help any more.

#4 ·
Jason,

Like Sean K, I lived in Colorado for over 40 years, and guided all over. The South Fork area is a phenomenal fishery, but the entire state is under such severe drought conditions, that fishing has been pretty non-existant this year, with many fisheries actually being closed for the first time in decades. Cheesman Canyon is beautiful, but it is a hit and miss section of the South Platte, as it is fished year round heavily due to its close proximity to the Denver Metro Area. Even when fish are hitting, they see so much thrown at them, that even on great days, if every aspect of your presentation isn't perfect, I honestly think I hear them laughing. I can understand you wanting to explore the area, but don't limit yourself to just South Park. Depending on the time of year you want to go, there are hundreds of public accessible options available, that all have great fishing. If you would like, you can PM me and I would be happy to discuss options, for South Park, and other areas, as well as gear, resources, and best times to fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.