fishing the southern appalachian with the sparrow fiberglass

yuhina

Tropical member
hey Friends!

Couple weeks ago, a good friend sent me this new sparrow fiberglass rod. A true beautiful built. 7'6 in length, 3/4 weight 3 pieces with white spigot ferrules. It has somewhat a interesting parabolic action, even bend all the way, stronger tip. Not a typical traditional fiberglass action. I can really feel the "rhythm" when bend deep and drive a powerful loop. below are some photos taken last weekend. It is a game of stalking 5 inch trout : ) great spirits in the forest. Mark

s1.5 by markyuhina, on Flickr

j6 by markyuhina, on Flickr

j4 by markyuhina, on Flickr

s2 by markyuhina, on Flickr

s3 by markyuhina, on Flickr

s1.1 by markyuhina, on Flickr

s7 by markyuhina, on Flickr

j3 by markyuhina, on Flickr

s9 by markyuhina, on Flickr

j1 by markyuhina, on Flickr

Great Pic. The one of you cradling the little trout in your palm is perfect. That's what small stream fishing is all about. A few seconds of battle, a quick thank you, a pause in the palm of you hand and off he goes.

yuhina

Tropical member
Thanks my friends,
Much appreciated the kind words!!

thought some of you guys might like to see the rod in action, so I shot a casting video from fishing a mountain stream. One is Sparrow 3/4 7'6. really smooth and powerful rod. easy to make a pinpoint cast and fighting the afternoon wind. I line it with Airflo 5WF Ridge line. It was a wonderful casting machine.

s1 by markyuhina, on Flickr

The other rod below is a fiberglass rod from Japan, Kabuto 703. 3 weight 7'. This is a true sweet heart for the mountain creek. if you constant crawling between rocks and seeking for 5 feet accurate cast between trees and vines... This is the tool for casting the leader .

k4 by markyuhina, on Flickr

Mark

Nice comparison Mark. I like that Kabuto. Have you tried the F2 653 yet, and if so, how does it compare to either the Sparrow or Kabuto?

Alan

yuhina

Tropical member
Hi Alan,

I did a short section on the F2. I think Scott make them a bit softer than the old F series. Regarding small creek 3 weight rods, the Kabuto action (progressive and even load to the butt section) is near "perfect" to my liking. I think Kabuto is a bit more crispier and more responsive than the Scott F2 IMO.