Basin lakes report

Drifter

Great report guy's! It kinda made the point of me waiting for a couple maybe three more weeks to head east in Oregon. Figured the bulk of the fish would still be a little to deep. but then again I do love the heavy line straight down approach with chiro's or mini leaches. I also liked the dual lake kinda thing encase one doesn't pan-out to your liking you still have a back-up. I know it's a long way for me to get over east so it's nice to have a couple choices like you guy's did. one of my friends loves trolling flies because he loves to feel the slam while I like the "hands on" fishing .

And yes the east side fish are just so much stronger then the west side it is really no contest. Are you guy's using fluoro tippets? seems I can use 8 pound seagaur and not lose many flies in most the lake I have fished. sometimes (not often) i have to drop to 6 pound but that is the lightest I have found I have to drop to get hook-ups in any lake i have fished recently. I need to tie some damn flies also - can never have to many.

Are you guy's using fluoro tippets? seems I can use 8 pound seagaur and not lose many flies in most the lake I have fished. sometimes (not often) i have to drop to 6 pound but that is the lightest I have found I have to drop to get hook-ups in any lake i have fished recently.
Yes on the fluoro tippets! I've been going with heavier and heavier tippet strength over the past few years and haven't found the "ceiling" yet. 2x is now what I use for just about everything in lake fishing. No more breaking off fish and many fewer tangles in the leader.

BTW - your two-tone nymph was killer this trip. I probably caught over 30 fish on one fly that was my point fly fished deep. I changed up to several other options for a bottom fly but the two-tone never went back in the box!

I've never found a situation where I've needed less than 4x. And that's only for flies18 and smaller. Most of the places I fish you don't want less than8 lb anyway unless you want to be constantly wondering what keeps breaking you off.

It may require mass quantities of fermented grains or maybe just a please. I'm throwing out my hat to a few other fly clubs as a possible presenter (I've presented a few times now) and I'm also looking to do another presentation for the forum. I did one about two years ago in the spring in Everett and next I'm looking to do one further south for people living that direction. If anyone knows of any venues/fly clubs/fly shops that would be open to the idea say just south of Seattle, I'm game.
I know just where to find fermented grains. Any grain you want, I would gladly provide for the tutelage. Barley, check....Wheat, check....rice, check....rye (my favorite), check...potato, check...cabbage, check....honey, check.

Drifter

Yes on the fluoro tippets! I've been going with heavier and heavier tippet strength over the past few years and haven't found the "ceiling" yet. 2x is now what I use for just about everything in lake fishing. No more breaking off fish and many fewer tangles in the leader.

BTW - your two-tone nymph was killer this trip. I probably caught over 30 fish on one fly that was my point fly fished deep. I changed up to several other options for a bottom fly but the two-tone never went back in the box!
Wish I could like this "twice" ;-)~

Drifter

Two tone nymph = boise la grande trip 122.jpg

Most aquatic nymphs are lighter colored on the underside that I have seen! These are from a stomach pumped - large rainbow from a eastside lake.

Latest posts