Transition Game?

DimeBrite

MA-9 Beach Stalker
Matt,
The fish you caught is fresh from the ocean and still actively feeding, so it has loose scale, smaller roe, and an active digestive system. If you didn't catch that fish, it would have gone south to the staging grounds near a net pen area or in a river/stream estuary.

I have got to say, I absolute love this forum. I don't know what it is about the salt, but everyone here is always super helpful, kind, and stoked about anything salt related. Certainly not the case for some of the other forums on the site.

I can't say how much I've appreciated the tips and urging-ons I've got from all of you guys over the last month or so. Even got out fishing on PNP this Saturday with a fellow member, which is a first in the 5 or so years I've been a member here.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
Matt,
Tim dialed it in for you. Some of the net pen coho are like the lost children of the sea. They don't have a home river to hone in on so I think they just swim around ripening trying to figure out what to do or where to go.

rotato

I went with option 2 on Saturday evening
Nice change of pace from staging fish
Walking a beach and casting to cutties that are pushing bait right at you
One was caught with a 20 foot cast
No big ones but its sure fun to cast to fish that move aggressively to your fly
All were caught on a olive marabou over white mini clouser
Come on down I never see anyone when I go out
Cheers

ten80

I'm heading north on Friday to explore option 4. Anyone wanting to carpool is more than welcome to join.

Nick- I should have stopped casting for a few seconds to introduce Jason, but couldn't bring myself to risk missing fish, odds are getting tougher these days for sure. Also, your easy, long casts make me think I need to go try an outbound short!

Thanks to everyone for the waiting fish pattern ideas. I fished with Kerr last october and we used similar flies on the Sol Duc to get low-water coho to bite. May have to re-visit these ideas for lockjawed river fish this weekend.

I think most of the fish are through until we get some rain so I've switched to Cutthroat and looking forward to river fishing for salmon in a week or so as well as some steelhead fishing. The choices are many this time of year with some ending and several beginning.

mtskibum16

Thanks DB/SF. It was a wild fish though (at least the fin wasn't clipped) so not a net pen fish.

Jason, I was the guy to the left of Nick. Too bad there wasn't more action for your visit...you missed it by a couple weeks.

porterHause

Just call me Jon
Sounds like PNP was the place to be. We should have a chum party when the time comes.

Here's my take on Croft's Spider as per Jim Kerr's detailed drawing.

Size 6 Gamakatsu SC15
Thread: Orange 3/0
5/32 Gold Bead
Body: Gold tinsel
Pearl Flashabou wing (1 strip)

Yellow/orange saddle hackle version...
IMG_20121001_192643_edit0.jpg

Orange saddle hackle, pheasant crest...
IMG_20121001_192827_edit0.jpg

I just get into some fall SRC fishing this time of year until I see chum. This time of the year is the best time of year for SRC because they are feeding heavily before the winter arrives. Try top water flies at Purdy because you can run into 20+ SRC in that area this time of year.

Latest posts