Fishing gear for chums...

Gonna try to get my boy into a chum in the morning. He can't quite fly cast well enough so I'm thinking ill have him gear fish. He has a sufficient spinning rod, but I'm not sure what to set him up with for ease of fishing, with a shot of hooking up. Gonna be fishing shallow water with minimal current. Suggestions? Spinners? Jig and float? Herring under a bobber? Whatever it could be at this point wal mart will be my source.

Would sure love to see his reaction to hooking a chum!

Ed Call

This is how I introduced my girls to fishing with flies. They could. Easily cast spinning gear with a fly on the business end.

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
This is how I introduced my girls to fishing with flies. They could. Easily cast spinning gear with a fly on the business end.

I did the same thing with my girlfriend, I've actually considered it when watching the salmon giving the middle fin 40 foot out of casting range... almost considered.

Richard E

Nick, get him some casting bubbles. Tear dropped shaped deal. Casting that with a fly attached will work well. Bubble above the fly 2-4 feet and he's set. Fishing the same flies as dad, and out fishing you!
I've also seen the floats in a chartreuse and an orange; for me, I'd prefer those colors over clear. Chums are either on the bite or not, and the color of the float shouldn't be a factor to 'em . . .

orangeradish

Eyes to the sky...
Tri swivel with weight, 24" leader, thread a bass popper head on the leader, tie any fly on and slide the Popper onto the fly. Hope you get the kid into some fish!

Jason

Latest posts