Pattern Damsel Nymphs

FlyOnTheBeach

formally FlyOnThe Beach
I have been tying and filling up the fly boxes for spring. I am going to be tying some Damsel Nymphs and have seen tons of variants out there. Seem slike a lot out there and some are overcomplicated. Just looking for something solid, simple and productive. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Dale Dennis

Formally Double-D
Great tie and thank you Preston, it has been the go too for some time I’ve considered doing a tying video of the pattern. I plan to demo it at the FFF fly tying fair this spring as well as the North Idaho fly tying expo in Lewiston in March.

Blue

I do one similar to the marabou that Gary posted. I use a small scud hook and don't clip the second batch of marabou.
note: Ostrich works too, but will fade in the sun

when wet the whole thing wiggles like the nymph does"

Thomas Williams

Habitual Line Stepper
Great tie and thank you Preston, it has been the go too for some time I’ve considered doing a tying video of the pattern. I plan to demo it at the FFF fly tying fair this spring as well as the North Idaho fly tying expo in Lewiston in March.
Dale I would much like to see an SBS for that pattern. Soon enough damsels will be killin it out there.

dogsnfish

Boy, Preston's looks like a winner. I just looked and I have 9 different damsal nymph patterns in my lake box, and I am still looking for "the one." I was fishing a lake last year and looked down and could see a dozen of the little suckers swimming by my tube. That taught me that most of my patterns were too dense or complicated. I had a lot better luck with I simplified and cut down on material.

Jeff Dodd

This is a great thread with cool patterns. I just complete one of Hans damsels and then find Dale's damsel posted! I will do that one tomorrow. i missed that class dale...

Then GAT puts up a nice quick tie damsel. I will be on this for a while!

What sizes do most use? I find my ties are generally larger than the naturals I see, so I remind myself to keep them small and slender.

Latest posts