Thompson River, BC

BDD

I heard it opened up Nov. 1. Anybody planning on going? I am thinking hard about it as I bought my license thinking I was fishing the Skeena this fall but wound up not going 'cause my partner had to bail.

Anybody ever float it around Spences Bridge?

The run is very minimal, I have no idea why they opened it, latest counts were maybe around 500 fish....
Trout fishing in the summer can be pretty amazing though, if you can handle the heat!

Salmo_g

Hmmm, have stream cleats and wading staff, along with BC license, the most criical gear for fishing the T. Wonder how cold it will be next weekend.

BDD

We were spawning fish today at Priest Rapids Hatchery in 60+ degree weather. This would have been the week to fish the T. I imagine the coming colder weather will make the driving more challenging to get there and the responsiveness to a floating line more difficult. But it would just take one fish to make it worthwhile, even with a possible dunking, which is still fairly probably with stream cleats and a wading stick.

Jeremy Floyd

fly fishing my way through life
Its supposed to be around -10/-12ish C next weekend.. I would pass on it unless you really are dying to be cold and fish a long time between fish..

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
I had one of my most memorable days on the Thompson after waking up to a coating of ice on everything. After days of balmy weather and no fish, the sudden cold snap changed everything. The most significant change was that it kept a lot of folks indoors. :) I had three fish to hand and still made it to the tavern for the first NFL game. Perfect day! Chipping the propane tank free from the picnic table with a hammer and screwdriver was a little scary tho...

Plecoptera

With the estimate being around 1000 fish in a river that massive you are basically looking for a needle in a haystack. I'm amazed they are opening it. Rivers around here that are a fraction of the size of the T get closed when returns are almost twice that number.

TexBC

Fly Addict
Hey there my American friends!

Speaking of the Thompson, if any of you DO come up for a visit, think about stopping in for a fundraiser we (the Steelhead Society of BC) are holding on November 29th!

The Bonaparte River is one of the main spawning tributaries of the Thompson and this will be a follow-up to a big fundraiser we held last year for the restoration of another tributary, Spius Creek. :)

Thanks for looking!
Spencer

With the estimate being around 1000 fish in a river that massive you are basically looking for a needle in a haystack. I'm amazed they are opening it. Rivers around here that are a fraction of the size of the T get closed when returns are almost twice that number.

Steelhead don't spawn in the Thompson mainstem. It's a misconception to presume the T should have large returns based on it's LARGE size. There are many other elements critical to stream productivity and carrying capacity

Plecoptera

Steelhead don't spawn in the Thompson mainstem. It's a misconception to presume the T should have large returns based on it's LARGE size. There are many other elements critical to stream productivity and carrying capacity
True they do only spawn in a few tribs, but still... 1000 fish in a river that size is a very low % game.

True they do only spawn in a few tribs, but still... 1000 fish in a river that size is a very low % game.
Low percentage to what?

Again, there is no point in focusing on the size of the river as it means nothing as far as it's ability to produce steelhead is concerned. What it does provide is a very large and happy sanctuary for resident rainbows

Latest posts