Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Questions about a few southwestern towns.

NFR 
4K views 62 replies 37 participants last post by  Don Freeman 
#1 ·
Now that the fly shop is closed and it will soon be in my rear view mirror we are SERIOUSLY thinking of moving out of the cold, snow and long cloudy/gloomy weather.
We have researched a lot of areas with a few things in mind; 1. WEATHER We MUST have a lot of sun 250 days of sunshine minimum. We don't mind a little snow but little or no accumulation. Cold mornings are ok but warm sunny afternoons are mandatory. Summers can't be too hot we don't mind 90's in the mid-summer but long stretches in the 100's are out. 2. DEMOGRAPHICS, Small town/rural atmosphere but enough population to have clinics/hospital services and decent shopping without driving to "town" to shop. 3. RECREATION. I like to fish but am content to fish lakes and ponds as well as moving water. However also love to bicycle and would like to ride year around, hiking is also high on my list. 4. INTERESTING GEOGRAPHY, We really like to explore we would like to have some historical places, national parks, national forests, places to camp and hike.
Here are a few we have winnowed out that meet most of the criteria above. Not in any order of preference.
1. Farmington NM the San Juan river flows through it. Great road biking. Red rock and Ancient Indian ruins. Close to the four corners area, and just across the border from Durango CO. Too close to a big coal fired generating plant.

2. Prescott AZ works for most of our criteria but not much fishing. In the foothills nearly 3800', closer to Phoenix and spring training baseball. Cool old historic downtown area. Probably the warmest winters but marginally hot summers.

3. Grand Junction CO a little too much winter but The Gunnison is there and the Green right across the Colorado river. Probably the best fishing and mountain biking.

4. Show Low AZ Neat litte spot 5500 ' elevation in the White Mountains lot of hiking, mountain biking fishing local lakes and streams even an active fly club. In the largest stand of Ponderosa Pine in the US. in AZ who would think it.

What do you think?
Any body have specific intel on any of these areas?
How about another area that would meet our criteria. Some areas we avoided because of the cost of housing; like St George Ut, Scottsdale and a few others.
jesse

See less See more
#5 ·
Having lived in CO for 7 years, here's my take on your Rocky Mountain selections (not much experience w/ AZ but what about Flagstaff);
  • Grand Junction: You could fish every day for the rest of your life on the Grand Mesa and not touch the same piece of water twice. The Gunny is not really too close (thinking Black Canyon) but some great fisheries in a 2 hour drive like the Roaring Fork Valley, White River and Animas. While on the Western Slope, its still the Rockies so the road biking is the best in the country. July and part of August will be 100* almost every day and the winters won't be as cold as you think. Town is ok and big enough not to be too bored plus Denver, SLC, Moab, Durango, Steamboat, Aspen, etc are all w/in a short drive.
  • Farmington: If you're going to move there, just move to Durango...great fishing, cycling, skiing and beer. If you move there you have to race the train to Silverton...
Last point...check out Montrose, CO too. Good luck!!

#6 ·
N
1. Farmington NM the San Juan river flows through it. Great road biking. Red rock and Ancient Indian ruins. Close to the four corners area, and just across the border from Durango CO. Too close to a big coal fired generating plant.
I enjoyed myself there but I couldnt see living there, its a gas\oil boom town. 90% of the trucks on the road are white diesel pick ups with gas company logos. Fishing the San Juan is incredible though....

If you want to head down there for a weekend though to check it out yell at me and I will split a guide for a couple days on the juan!

KC

#8 ·
I spent 15 yrs in central AZ--mostly out of Payson. Thought it was the most perfect weather-just as you described. There was (and maybe still is) some good fishing around. 4 to 7 thousand foot elevations do get cold in the winter, but still mostly sunny. Getting crowded there as well. Incredible geography in the Southwest for sure. Huge difference between Prescott and Show Low. I often think about the SW, but have finally learned to love the rain and man it would be hard to be so far from steelhead. Also some extreme droughts down there of late.

#9 ·
I spent 15 yrs in central AZ--mostly out of Payson. Thought it was the most perfect weather-just as you described. There was (and maybe still is) some good fishing around. 4 to 7 thousand foot elevations do get cold in the winter, but still mostly sunny. Getting crowded there as well. Incredible geography in the Southwest for sure. Huge difference between Prescott and Show Low. I often think about the SW, but have finally learned to love the rain and man it would be hard to be so far from steelhead. Also some extreme droughts down there of late.
Dan my wifes sister lives in Payson and that is on the radar also. It seems like it is reight between Prescott and Show Low not just geographically but weather wise. She says that they get designer snow it looks pretty in the morning and is gone by noon. I like the looks of Show Low in the white mountains but there is more winter there according to the historical weather records. Haven't seen either place yet so the next step is this winter we will head to AZ in the travel trailer and check out all the likely spots. The AZ fish and game list several lakes and streams around Prescott have you ever fished there?
Tri-cities WA can't do it the weather is ok except for the wind and the only scenery is sage brush.
Walla Walla possibility almost moved there 10 years ago,
keith Farmington doesnt sound right to me it is getting 86'd.
Thanks for your responses

#10 ·
Montana. Some places(Dillon) get little or no snow. Lots of sun in the winter time but not much heat to it. Most rivers open year around, if they ain't iced over that is. No 100 degree days this year again. Stays about in the 80's from June to October.

#13 ·
I have family for 20 years in Avon, CO and I have spent a lot of time in the CO-NM-UT region fishing, mountain biking and skiing. I agree with "deansie" that instead of Farmington, just move to Durango. It is at a slightly higher altitude and consequently gets a little more winter than in northern NM, but it's a seriously cool town with more outdoor recreation than you could cover in ten lifetimes. Has proximity to the San Juan plus numerous streams big and small in CO and NM.

I like Grand Junction too, but it's not as cool, and there is a little less fishing very close by versus Durango. Grand Junction does have the MTB trail network around Fruita plus other areas that are spectacular. It's also close enough to Moab UT that a day trip for a ride there is feasible. Likewise skiing and fishing east of there in the high CO mountains.

IMO you can't lose with either one. I envy your choices, and more important, I'm happy to hear you're looking forward rather than backward!

#15 ·
I'd do Colorado if it was me. My dad lives on the front range (Loveland, CO). Maybe a little colder for you in the winter, but they still get something like 300 days of sunshine there. The mountains are in your backyard, there are amazing rivers pouring off all of them. Can't beat that.

I'm pretty sure you could find an ideal spot like this just about anywhere in Colorado. Plus, if you smoke weed, you can now do so legally there! :D

Jason

#16 ·
I think Deansie's suggestion of Montrose is worth looking into.

I have a friend who lived for all his professional career in Maryland, but who wanted to retire in the west. He developed virtually the same list you have (close to small city with health care facilities and airport, good climate, near fly fishing). He and his wife spent several summers in the years before he retired visiting many places between New Mexico and Montana and ended up buying property in Montrose.

My wife and I have been playing that game, too, as we start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. We lived for a few years in Boulder, CO, and, while I think Denver metro area (and including Boulder) is too crowded, the Fort Collins area is very appealing. But then, so is SW Montana, western CO, parts of Idaho, ... I don't think I would go as far south as AZ or NM for reasons having to do with future climate change.

D

#17 ·
Being a Durango born native, I can vouch that it is a very fun and eclectic town. I still have family there today and enjoy returning to see what is new. I would not go here if you do not like the snow. I have pics of me as child standing on the roof of our house with the dogs since the snow level was so high. You would have to enjoy this if you lived there for any length of time.The upside is that you have many fishing opportunities.

I also have family that live in Grand Junction and I would personally not move there. It is the Tri-Cities of Colorado and unfortunately has its share of mexican gang's. It was a great place to live 20 years ago.

I will pitch this one for you......what about Montrose, Colorado? It gets its share of snow but not as much as Durango. My grandparents used to live there and I still have family that lives there now. It is your typical normal smaller town with low crime and numerous options for outdoor activities. They have a great and extensive bike trail that I enjoyed many times where the scenery around you consists of snow topped rocky mountains and fields of aspens and sagebrush. You have numerous stillwater destinations composed of mountain lakes and reservoirs. The Gunnison and Uncompahgre River are close and there nearby tailwater fisheries that are blue ribbon destinations. Since its close to Telluride, you see an occasional celeb and I remember seeing Tom Cruise park his lamborghini at a local grocery store.

Make us all jealous and move to Bozeman, MT. If fly fishing heaven could fall to earth it would land here. You have the Big Horn, Boulder, Rock Creek, Stillwater, Yellowstone all the nearby spring creeks nearly at your doorstep. Head west and now you are at the park and have all that water open to you. If you hate the winter here, you could always head downtown to a local coffee shop, share a spliff with a local college student and read the newspaper.

#18 ·
While I was reading your post, I was thinking, "Pretty much describes Prescott, AZ." However, I'm basing this on four days I spent visiting there last January. Cold mornings, in mid 20s, but afternoons in the 50s. If high desert qualifies as interesting, which, to me, it does, you can check that box. I saw lakes but did not get a chance to find out about fishing scene. people seemed generally friendly. Nearby mountains. Interesting downtown. Seems like a fun place.

#19 ·
Three recomendations for Montrose CO the home of Ross reels... I will check that out maybe add it too my list. I took Farmington off. Durango iss out too much winter and really expensive housing.
jesse

#22 ·
Prescott is very pleasant. A bit of driving to cold water fishing, but lots of desert lakes for the warm water species.
There are fly shops in Phoenix that would have current information. Some searching might provide links.
If you head to Payson / Mogollon Rim area let me know and I'll tell you about my favorite trout water.

#23 ·
I think you are describing Moab, except can get a bit hot in the summer. I spent a lot of time there for my job and it is a great place. My folks lived in Delta CO for a few years. At the time they confirmed what Obi said about Grand Junction. Can't go wrong with Prescott.

Not too hot in the summer but not too cold in the winter narrows it down to just a few places. Have you thought about more coastal areas? N. CA, OR, or WA?

I grew up in E. WA, E. OR and N. ID. My job had me away for about 15 years and I lived in some very nice places, but I could not wait to get back once I had been away for a while.

#24 ·
I think you are describing Moab, except can get a bit hot in the summer. I spent a lot of time there for my job and it is a great place. My folks lived in Delta CO for a few years. At the time they confirmed what Obi said about Grand Junction. Can't go wrong with Prescott.

Not too hot in the summer but not too cold in the winter narrows it down to just a few places. Have you thought about more coastal areas? N. CA, OR, or WA?

I grew up in E. WA, E. OR and N. ID. My job had me away for about 15 years and I lived in some very nice places, but I could not wait to get back once I had been away for a while.
Dale we thought a lot about the coastal areas we have traveled them extensively and once rode our tandem bike from Seattle to Eureka CA. The problem there is not temperature but overcast/fog/rain. Even Bookings the banana belt has a lot of overcast days.
I have lived here in Spokane my entire life 64 years and I want to see and experience some other areas. I have a need for a little adventure in my life. Maybe I will come back some day and then appreciate it even more.
jesse

#26 ·
After living in the SW for 10 years (New Mexico) I couldn't wait to head back home. It really wasn't about the place where I lived for scenery and weather, the lack of water was a little depressing but what it really boiled down too was the people. I missed the scensearity, politeness and a good conversation with genuine people that had the same interests I do.

I've lived in a lot of different places, traveled the country for work and people frequently asked myself how do you like where you live now. My answer is short, "I love it". The majority of the reactions from the people I talk to are kind of shocked and want to probe deeper. But for me it's the people, just the other day I spoke to an 80+ year old rancher 5 miles away about ranching, fishing, hunting, wildfires and some good stories from his day... as we parted ways I found myself thinking, where in this world can I bump into a complete stranger and in 30 minutes be friends for life.

#27 ·
Jesse, It is a real balancing act to find a place that has enough elevation to ameliorate the heat of summer yet not be so high that it is problematic for the elderly. I have lived at over 4,000 feet for several years, 7,200 for over a year and spent a summer at 10,450. I was young then but wouldn't want to do that now despite the fact that I have no health issues. I have watched several older couples struggle at higher elevations then move down to the 3-4,000 level and thrive. Above about 5,000' they just don't seem to do well.

New Mexico in particular has a number of towns at pretty high elevation, some near 8,000'. To me the sweet spot is around 4,000'(Owens Valley) and although it still gets bloody hot in the summer the evenings are generally pleasent and usually the snow only makes a cameo in winter.

Ive

#28 ·
Jesse, It is a real balancing act to find a place that has enough elevation to ameliorate the heat of summer yet not be so high that it is problematic for the elderly. I have lived at over 4,000 feet for several years, 7,200 for over a year and spent a summer at 10,450. I was young then but wouldn't want to do that now despite the fact that I have no health issues. I have watched several older couples struggle at higher elevations then move down to the 3-4,000 level and thrive. Above about 5,000' they just don't seem to do well.

New Mexico in particular has a number of towns at pretty high elevation, some near 8,000'. To me the sweet spot is around 4,000'(Owens Valley) and although it still gets bloody hot in the summer the evenings are generally pleasent and usually the snow only makes a cameo in winter.

Ive
You know Ive someone much younger than you and I warned me about the same thing. The three place that are at the top of our list are 5000, 5400. and 6400 feet. I just so happens that the one at 6400' is our favorite so far. I figures that if we ended up there and I had a vigorous lifestyle biking and hiking then when we moved back down to 3500' I would be an ANIMAL. We got time to look and check it out we are not moving this winter but I don't think I will sp0end another winter here in the gloom and snow. The thing that we have got going for us is we are not going to buy any real estate we are going to rent so if it doesnt work our we can move on. We have moved alot and I don't mind it it keeps us both frrom being pack-rats. Oops the new term is now hoarders.
Is it snowing at your place yet?
And come to think of IT who you calling ELDERLY???
jesse

#30 ·
Ft. Collins gets quite a few nods from many looking for these same criteria. Just far enough from Denver and only a few hours from WY's waters. Lot's of fun looking into and deciding on a question like this...good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.