Switch rod for indicator depravity

So Im thinking sage z axis 6 wt paired with either a CLA4 or Solitude 4. Should do sweet dbl duty as a summer steelhead rod and tight quarters indicator rod. Im torn though, because a 7wt would be good in winter, but I feel it will be overkill in the summer and dry line

Chris Bellows

Your Preferred WFF Poster
So Im thinking sage z axis 6 wt paired with either a CLA4 or Solitude 4. Should do sweet dbl duty as a summer steelhead rod and tight quarters indicator rod. Im torn though, because a 7wt would be good in winter, but I feel it will be overkill in the summer and dry line
i fish the echo sr 7wt switch and do not find it to be overkill for summer fish. i could get by with lighter, but i like the fact that i don't need another steelhead sized switch.

i would like a lighter switch, but for sea-run cutts not steelhead.

TD

Do you think the z axis 6 switch can tangle with big OP winter fish?
Yes. The reels that you've mentioned pairing with the rod will enable the setup to handle big winter fish. My dad fishes a 6wt Helios Switch rod paired with a Mirage reel. He takes that setup to Yakutat (Spelling?) to fish for Coho every September and has no trouble with that setup. 15+ lbs Coho that are literally right off the saltwater are common.

Uhhh, you guys ever heard of a center pin bobber rig? So easy to learn a cave man can do it. And a whole hellofalot cheaper than a spey/switch rig.

TFO 11' 6wt switch with 400gr scandi head. Roll casts and spey casts indicator and weighted flies just fine. I have to lower the tip to the side and change my anchor point when working under the canopy of branches but it is still a more versatile set up than a single handed rod in my opinion. For really tight conditions I have a 9.5' custom switch that I made from a TFO Professional blank that I use when I am under trees all day. Still beats a pure single had set up.

Latest posts