B.B. King Snake

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
nice tie Kelvin

I think they were refering to not being able to hook a fish properly on that thing, which seems like the big issue with such a long fly, I was thinking something smaller than what they were fishing. baby size foam rattle snake maybe.

kelvin

nice tie Kelvin

I think they were refering to not being able to hook a fish properly on that thing, which seems like the big issue with such a long fly, I was thinking something smaller than what they were fishing. baby size foam rattle snake maybe.
he is also heard saying "I'll dream about this for the rest of my life"

I think something alot smaller would attract and hook more fish
As far as I can tell that thing has at least 7 sections
might as well use a bass plug at that point

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
I dream of watching fish swim up and suck in my scuds as well, I just end up with more dreams, a variety to choose from.

Now I have watched snakes swim across the Ford a few times over several fish with almost no interest. Now I've also watched a couple smaller snakes swim down to the bottom and that's when the fish tend to pay attention more.

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
Isn't that what its about though, designing a new fly and getting that impossible take from that impossible fish. On the same scud fly you've used a hundred times before and always had great success with you might be stoked with a ten fish day, conversely you might be disappointed with a one fish day. When there's a little mystery involved that one fish you've been looking for all weekend turns into a fish to remember for a lifetime.

At the fly swap kelvin showed us a snake pattern that really got me thinking about this under utilized pattern. There was talk about someone catching a cutt with a garter snake hanging out of its mouth and theres even a video online of someone catching a monster rainbow on a rattlesnake pattern, but then they never show the fly. I've seen snakes on the water and I know they move a lot of water so it seems like they perfect choice of fly for the dry side or maybe the canyon country in Idaho/oregon when it starts to warm up in the middle of the day.

Heres what I got for a baby king snake (hehe, now you get the thread title)

You're probably thinking of when DryFlyLarry caught a cutt with the 8" - 10" garder snake in it's throat. We were fishing a well known lake when Larry yelled at me and said there was something strange in this big cutt's throat, maybe a big leech or something, I kicked over and took a look, I then pulled the snake out and we were both kind of surprised. I've seen bass come up and grab snakes but not a trout, but then again cutt's are pretty opportunistic and it probably happens more than we realize, or at least whenever the opportunity presents itself. Cool idea about snake patterns but I don't know how productive they would be.

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
well then I guess someone should probably try them then:), now Im not saying this is my new go to pattern, but I will keep a few in the box just in case.
Awesome to know the whole story as I was late to the swap, thanks mark

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Very nice pattern. I was thinking more about adapting it as an eel pattern for the next time I fish for stripers along the east coast. Live eels are a major prey (and bait) and this could be a great pattern for that fishery.

Steve

kelvin

Very nice pattern. I was thinking more about adapting it as an eel pattern for the next time I fish for stripers along the east coast. Live eels are a major prey (and bait) and this could be a great pattern for that fishery.

Steve

the one I tied larry was based on a eel pattern for strippers
I have caught cuts on it here in the salt (on a smaller version)