What 7/8 rod for under $500 are happiest with?

skitterbug

What rods have you been satisfied with for under $500, which ones for use with a Skagit line, Scandi line. A rod that works with most lines?

Thanks.

You might be able to find a Z-axis 7136 or 8129 for that, now that they are discontinued. I have the 8129 and it throws both a skagit and afs lines with ease. I love it.

Ed Call

Mine would be the used Sage Z Axis 8129 that I got a few years ago for $500 or $550. Makes me look like I know what I'm doing, and I really don't have a clue.

Wadecalvin

Skagitmiester
Beulah Classic are nice rods at under 500$
Redington Cpx...probobly the Prospecter sereies too
TFO Deer Creek are nice.
What length and weight are you thinking?

Rick Todd

Echo makes some awesome rods in that price range. After casting one, I just ordered a 10'10" 6wt switch-beautiful rod that looks like it should cost a lot more. Rick

skitterbug

I have a Amundson windwarrior 12'6" 7/8 weight, I'm just not sure about the action or whether it's a decent rod. Looking to upgrade eventually, after I slowly save up enough dough. And a good used rod is in the cards aswell.
What lines are you throwing on the z axis 8129?

Only interested in spey rods, not interested in switch rods.

Thanks

Ed Call

I have a Amundson windwarrior 12'6" 7/8 weight, I'm just not sure about the action or whether it's a decent rod. Looking to upgrade eventually, after I slowly save up enough dough. And a good used rod is in the cards aswell.

Thanks
Throwing a custom Steve Godshall 575 grain line on mine. Started with an Airflo 600 and then backed it down a touch and Steve shortened mine a touch too.

Thanks
That rod rocks with a Rio AFS 7/8 , or an Airflow Compact Scandi in the 450 grain range .

skitterbug

What tips are you throwing with the afs and compact scandi?
What action would you consider the wind warrior have?

thanks cmann for the link

Thanks
When I was looking at buying a used Z-87129 recently, I talked to Chris Anderson at Sage and he told me that it was one of his favourite rods. He said that a Skagit 625 was about perfect on the rod.

When I bought the rod, I received a 600 Skagit Compact with it. Rather than ignore the "free" line I decided to try it. I put a T-11 tip on it and it casts beautifully. Makes me feel like a Jedi...near-as-nevermind effortless.

What tips are you throwing with the afs and compact scandi?
What action would you consider the wind warrior have?

thanks cmann for the link
I only use 10 foot poly leaders with these lines . Pick your sink rate .
The action is fairly fast - especially the upper third of the blank . If you`ve ever cast a Loomis Stinger in the 12.5 foot configuration , you`d find the actions eerily similar .

skitterbug

Thanks Brian, I've heard the max with the AFS line is t-8 10', are you going heavier than that?

Thanks for the feedback Steffan, Ed, Rick and Macsuibhe. I guess other than the Z Axis 8129, people aren't satisfied with their rod for under 500 ;-).

Latest posts