So, Dec 3 2011, i tied my first salmon fly, a gawd awful JS on a 3/0 Alec Jackson.
Over the last year I've learned quite a bit, but still have a ways to go to reach the promised land of consistently good flies.

I guess the greatest advancement had been in my proportions - tag, tail, body, ribs, sides wings etc, but achieving consistency is my continuing goal.

Here's a Floodtide, my anniversary fly, on a 2/0 reworked (not by me) Sunday Limerick.
Far from perfect. Though i do like the short tag.
I think the tail is good, and i'm also pretty happy with the underwing in that i got it to stay visible. The JC actually arey under the GP swords!!
I made the main wing a little more shallow than i usually do.
Topping is ok. Marabou hackle, perhaps too long, but was all i had.
Throat could be fuller, but the is the recommended two turns.

Head, wouldnt look out of place on medusa..Ugly as all hell. I always fear running out of space at the front, but find that when i leave more space than necessary, i end up concentrating my wraps in a small area, which is what i should be doing at a normal head space.

Its been a great year. I started with salmon flies, moved to winged wets and rangeley streamers, then back to salmon flies. I've seen immense progress in all my tying.

Hope you guys like it.


Latest posts