December 29th Rocky Ford Flyfishing Freezeout

I might just make it. That weather looks perfect. I may bring my ladder, my scuds, my micro leeches, my czech style nymphs, whatever. I imagine at this point that the fish that the hatchery stock last month will now be thoroughly well trained now and will be more likely to eat what is actually food. Although I have a new strip that I'd like to try on them. Hmmmmmmm maybe I should have worded that better.
Did you really say strip? ;)

Some friendly RF regulars gave me some micro leeches like the one Mcnasty tied. They do seem to work, but I think I might try some tied with marabou instead of the bunny.

Bradley, winter action on the Yakima can be pretty good. I would be happy to take you to some spots, but I'll be at at White Pass doing some Nordic skiing on the 26th and 27th.

When are you coming back?

Bradley Miller

Dances with fish
Bradley, winter action on the Yakima can be pretty good. I would be happy to take you to some spots, but I'll be at at White Pass doing some Nordic skiing on the 26th and 27th.

When are you coming back?
Thanks, Patrick....I hope to run over there Wednesday then return Thursday. I've never fished the Yak, but the upper river is so close to Ellensburg that it would seem crazy to miss a chance to fish. I drove that canyon this summer....beautiful area. This trip might be weather dependant; not too sure about the pass.....my Mustang is really a 'desperately seeking traction' kinda car.

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
Let's make it a Saturday morning 9AM meet up at the middle parking spot, the one that people camp at. From there we can spread out.
Ira, will you be available for a quick autograph session? (gotta make him feel welcome what with being a wetsider)
I will also be available for autographs but have suffered the ignomy of never being asked.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I am not a real big fan of ice in the guides. Rod tips either, for that matter. Like Jim, give me a warm sunny day in the high 70s or low 80s.
A man after my own heart. Temps today were around 24. An hour later it was 14. The bottom drops out fast. In don't like to fish in this cold but living here isn't so bad.

Thanks, Patrick....I hope to run over there Wednesday then return Thursday. I've never fished the Yak, but the upper river is so close to Ellensburg that it would seem crazy to miss a chance to fish. I drove that canyon this summer....beautiful area. This trip might be weather dependant; not too sure about the pass.....my Mustang is really a 'desperately seeking traction' kinda car.
I still see a few Mustangs driving around on all weather tires. I wouldn't try it on regular summer tires though.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
Let's make it a Saturday morning 9AM meet up at the middle parking spot, the one that people camp at. From there we can spread out.
Ira, will you be available for a quick autograph session? (gotta make him feel welcome what with being a wetsider)
I will also be available for autographs but have suffered the ignomy of never being asked.
Zen, I'd happily take your autograph on any blank checks you'd like to hand me, but if that doesn't work you could co-sign a lone for me so I could buy one of those new Sage rods, dang things are so expensive, I'd have to take out a third mortgage on my house. As for my autograph I'd be happy as long as it doesn't cut into my catching time :)

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
For those freezing out on the 29th we now have a little snow over here. Got about 3 inches yesterday and this morning. So plan on water resistant or water proof boots for Saturday. If it's not white and cold on Saturday it will be cold, muddy and slippery (on the creek paths).

dp

~El Pescador
I've been meaning to head over sometime over the weekend - it may have ot be the 29th.
I'll be checking the snoqualimie pass weather and then making a plan.
how many people are looking to go so far? A dozen, plus the locals?

Latest posts