Corned Beef

bitterroot

Love vintage graphite!
Bought a beautiful beef brisket flat yesterday and have it brining in the fridge as we speak. In 5 days I shall have my first home cured corned beef. Yes! :)

I use a regular Webber kettle and it's been a while since I've used a thermometer. I generally just feel the outside of the dome and regulate the coals as needed. For a small piece of meat like this one I just try and keep it low, probably 220-250. I'll let it smoke for a while over hickory or oak and then finish in the oven.

Patrick--
Can you/would you consider sharing your pastrami spice recipe... I know there are a bunch of different ones around, but first hand knowledge is always a good thing...

Thanks!

Here's a secret, don't tell nobody, keep it just between us....

Use goose breasts instead of beef. Make corned goose, goostrami, eventually gooben sandwiches.

Best ever. But remember, it's a secret.

Nothing to add to the DIY, (except to try Red Flannel hash if you like beets) but I will share a couple of places to get a killer CB or Reuben in the big smoke.
Market House Meats @ 1124 Howell Street Seattle has been supplying most local restauraunts with quality corned beef for the last 1/2 a century. They now have a deli too, to serve sandwiches or whole CB.
Shite sound, but you get this jist:

The Square Knot in Georgetown is a newer 24 hr diner, and they serve a bad ass Reuben as well, using MHM product. The SK had the same owner as the 9Lb, and it's right next door.
http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/voracious/2012/07/the_square_knot_diners_a_bount.php

Patrick--
Can you/would you consider sharing your pastrami spice recipe... I know there are a bunch of different ones around, but first hand knowledge is always a good thing...

Thanks!
I can't remember the exact recipe I use for the spices and cure. I started out with a recipe from Steven Raichlen's Barbeque Bible, but after making it a few times I got a feel for it and adjust based on what I think might taste good. It looks like Raichlen now sells a packet of the spices on the web so you could go for that and expect great results.

Pastrami is easier to cook than a regular brisket. The brine solution that cures the meat also seems to keep it juicy, so you can use a smaller cut and still not worry about it drying out.

Nothing to add to the DIY, (except to try Red Flannel hash if you like beets) but I will share a couple of places to get a killer CB or Reuben in the big smoke.
Market House Meats @ 1124 Howell Street Seattle has been supplying most local restauraunts with quality corned beef for the last 1/2 a century. They now have a deli too, to serve sandwiches or whole CB.
Shite sound, but you get this jist:

The Square Knot in Georgetown is a newer 24 hr diner, and they serve a bad ass Reuben as well, using MHM product. The SK had the same owner as the 9Lb, and it's right next door.
http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/voracious/2012/07/the_square_knot_diners_a_bount.php
Holy crap that sandwich looks good.

Latest posts