Swap Soft Hackle swap

Great looking ties and nice photos Bill. Interesting that Calvin included both the red rabbit tuft and thwarting read glass bead, I've only seen one or the other but I like it! I'm going to try to catch fish on every single one this summer!

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
I was very impressed with the quality of the tying in the swap. One of the swappers was a new tyer and did an excellent job. I thought I was going to get the mailing done Wednesday but I had to retake photos again and needed the tyer info. Now at best I'll get them mailed on Thursday. If not I'm out of town Friday and Saturday as I have west side business.

zen leecher aka bill w

The flies are mailed out. Thanks to all for participating. I have deleted the photos in this thread and replaced them with ones taken with fill flash and a tripod. The new photos are in the Gallery under 2013 Soft Hackle Swap.

Great ties everyone. I can't wait to fish them. There's a brookie stream that I can fish soon after the opener. I'll see how many pics I can get of these flies doing what they're designed to.

zen leecher aka bill w

Thanks Thomas, I like that color too. It's Partridge dyed "sulfur orange". I use Nature's Spirit brand. The body is entirely uni-stretch single strand floss, no regular thread.
I would not have guessed it was uni-stretch. I want to tie some of yours up also.

Also I'm glad people started getting their flies on Friday and Saturday as I was running around like a madman trying to get them out on Thursday. I do volunteer taxes and needed to work around that. Sorting out 17 sets of 16 flies isn't as easy as I previously thought either.

zen leecher aka bill w

I'm saving my set of the flies to make a shadow box for display. Shoot.... some of you guys might be famous some day.

I would also like to thank Ron Eagle Elk who provided TWO flies for the swap. That's why there were 17 flies being returned.

Everyone did an excellent job tying flies and the flies were exceptional. If I listed names it would be everyone. I'm also amazed at the dexterity and balance of the ties. I will be using the swap flies as prototypes for filling my soft hackle fly box.

A round of applause for the participants!!

Oh, one other person to single out. James.jimenez is a new tyer and this was his first swap. His pheasant tail soft hackle had nice proportions, balance and eye appeal. If I listened correctly he started tying last year at one of Jerry's wounded warrior events.

Bill

Latest posts