Anyone float the Queets lately?

Haven't floated it recently, but its never been productive for me and a fly rod. Walking down the Salmon River has been good for a couple of cutts.

Jim Kerr

I have not since the end of king season in November. The Salmon did not get a hatchery plant to return this year, and I believe the tribes are still netting 7 days a week, so, it can be a bit sparse..that said shouldn't be much of a crowd and there is some lovely water in there.

Salmo_g

If you float all the way to Hwy 101 you'll be floating through a lot of reservation water that you cannot fish without a tribal guide. Most folks float Hartzel to the Clearwater bridge and take out, and even that tail end of the float is on the Quinault reservation.

Sg

If you float all the way to Hwy 101 you'll be floating through a lot of reservation water that you cannot fish without a tribal guide. Most folks float Hartzel to the Clearwater bridge and take out, and even that tail end of the float is on the Quinault reservation.

Sg

Salmo g is right about the end of the drift. They are netting hoh monday thru wed at noon and Quil and Quinault m-f but soon to be Monday thru Thur, no weekend netting. Reports from most of the coastal waters has been good this week, Quinault system and hoh probably the most fish...

It was a beautiful day. In short the water was perfect for the swing. I caught and released one nice bull trout of 17" and another of 15". There were a few other boats on the river but everyone practiced good river etiquette. Witnessed a gear guy (diver and bait or plug) hook up to what I assumed to be a giant native. The fish never got closer than 40 yards and eventually won the battle for freedom.

The WDFW site shows the netting schedule for the Queets and unless there is missing info. the nets were supposed to be pulled Nov. 23. I'm guessing there is a different schedule or no schedule at all on the Tribe web page?

The netting schedule you are after is here: http://209.206.175.157/Fishing Regs/queets commercial.pdf. In other words, Sun-Fri until they "scale back" to just Mon-Fri on Mar 4, except--of course--there are "freshet conditions" which impairs the potential success of a gillnet fishery; under such conditions additional day(s) will be added to the schedule.

I actually support a tribal fishery in some capacity, but what they do on the Queets is inexcusable. I can't remember a day in my last 10 trips over the Queets via 101 when nets weren't strung bank-to-bank. That there are still fishable numbers of anything in the river is a testament to these great fish's ability to survive.

Wow, that's unfortunate to say the least. Are the numbers of fish killed recorded in some way? Where I'm going is that setting a quota pre-season and closing once the quota is met sounds reasonable to me.

Latest posts