Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Twanoh today

5K views 51 replies 29 participants last post by  Eyejuggler 
#1 ·
Hit up Twanoh today in hopes of bumping into a bunch of SRC's. There were a couple other teenage kids who looked to be just learning to fly fish. I didn't see any jumps, fishing birds, and no tugs at all. I did hit it as a pretty bad time as far as tide goes so I won't rule it out in the future, but man the bottom of that beach is in horrible shape from the shucking rules. Is that so the nutrients stay in the ecosystem? What a mess. If anyone has any other pointers of spots on the Hood that they'd wouldn't mind pointing me too I'd be very appreciative.

#36 ·
None of the spots mentioned on GHFS's list is one of my usual local places to fish, so this doesn't bother me at all. There may be someone else who has been fishing these spots for quite some time now, and had been enjoying relatively uncrowded conditions until this list was made public, and that now has to contend with ever-growing competition for the prime spot from which to cast....a growing competition which might not have arisen if there was no such public disclosure. Those people may not be amused.
But what the Hell, this is America, and businesses here have always been free, if not to "ruin," then at least to expose nearly every formerly little known pristine spot, all in the name of profit. So now "the public" knows about these spots that a relatively few individuals formerly held near and dear as their "semi-secret" escapes. There's always some locals that have been enjoying a place mostly to themselves before some shop (surf, fly, whatever) comes into town and feels the need to start issuing reports, in order to drum up more business and properly serve their customers. These locals who are used to having a place to themselves always are going to hate it when someone sends in a flock of newbies. That's just the way it is.
I don't hold any grudge against GHFS for posting that list. They need to promote their business, and that of course will naturally involve telling people how and where they can access some decent fishing. Of course, personally, I would rather that they kept the list "in shop," rather than posting it online, just for GP.
But I still plan to visit their shop one of these days. I want to test peddle some of their yaks.
In fact, I think that it might be easier for me to convince another paddler to go check out a couple of those places with me, now that they can see 'em on a list

#37 ·
Wow the BS got deep in here fast. Unless you have never bought anything from any shop ever and construct everything you use, you rely on an industry that needs to make a profit to stay solvent so that we can all keep casting. Now-a-days that includes online reports. Welcome to the 1990's.

#43 ·
This thread has been very revealing. I share good beach locations with close fishing buddies who can keep a secret and who post good reports but not specific locations. Kids like the Pimp will eventually learn the hard way why it is a terrible idea to post good fishing locations on the Internet. Enjoy the crowds, trash, and conflicts fellas!

This post has been deleted
#44 ·
This thread has been very revealing. I share good beach locations with close fishing buddies who can keep a secret and who post good reports but not specific locations. Kids like the Pimp will eventually learn the hard way why it is a terrible idea to post good fishing locations on the Internet. Enjoy the crowds, trash, and conflicts fellas!
I'll add to this by saying that, as a "newer" flyfisher (been at it about 6 years and only in my early 30s), I hope that I might occasionally hear about some of our local gems from more experienced anglers. As such, whether on a fly fishing forum or in real life, I keep details on locations close to the chest, because I know that if I'm out spouting about how I caught fish in certain spots then people will probably be less likely to want to share.

For my part, I know that there is a wealth of information out there that anglers have heard from other anglers, who heard from other anglers before that, who heard from other anglers before that even. So not only do I want to keep the very few lesser known spots I know of to myself for my own benefit, but I hope it pays off later on down the road by making more experienced anglers comfortable sharing with me later on.

Anyway, that's my take and how I approach it.

Jason

#47 ·
I think you have the right approach Jason. You worked hard all summer to get your salmon and it paid off. Along the way you shared good reports, flies & tactics, and made some friends on WFF.

There are no magical secret beaches in Puget Sound, a place can be good one day and lousy the next. Still, I think it is a bad idea to list so many sensitive beaches on a fly shop website. You become more and more successful at this game by fishing often and developing a trusted network of fishing buddies who share frequent reports with each other. Guys who blab everything publicly on the internet when they have a little success are not going to be entrusted with very much information. It's much better to be discreet with your fishing reports and share location details in personal messages or over the phone.

Sorry your thread got hijacked daveypetey.

#45 ·
Thank god only one of my favorite places was mentioned. $hit like this is why i dont like taking others. I only have very few friends I fish with and hunt with even fewer. that way i know when i come back years later no one will be there yet again.

The best way to learn a awesome spot is trial and error. That is how i learned all my favorite fishing spots. When you ask for spots you are limiting yourself so much.

Clint

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.