Its Almost Skwala Time

Nice tie Mcnasty, and thanks for the great pics Preston. I am going to spend some time at the vise this winter to tie adults and nymphs for the early and late hatches. Thanks again guys, super thread.

Teenage Entomologist

Gotta love the pteronarcys.
I have my own set of adult stonefly patterns called the Supernatural Stones. I only have Salmonfly and golden stone, but I look forward to making a Skwala adult. I'll have one tied up within a few months.

Teenage Entomologist

Well Scott, I meant I'll have the materials within that time frame, and I'll tie it by then. It'll be a really cool lookin' fly. Instead of a #8 hook, I'll use a #10, do a dark olive body, and that should be it. This is what the Supernatural Stonefly pattern looks like. image.jpg

Teenage Entomologist

I know u were kiddin'. Hopefully this years Skwala hatch on the Sacramento River here in California will be bigger, the Summer Stonefly hatch was pretty big this year, same for the pteronarcys. And actually Scott that MCM Foam Stone pattern; I got my idea for the Supernatural Stone from that pattern. I liked how the MCM was durable. I added antennae, tied in the legs in a different spot, used moose hair for the wings, and put Krystal Flash in the wings. How did you exactly do the extended body? Every different segment on the extended body I would whip finish, so it ended up being about 4 whip finishes on the extended body.

Latest posts