untimely death on the wenatchee

After a long batttle with ferrule cancer and a successful recovery , it was time to get this very impatient to be used rod a go . The rod a 13ft hardy "wye " from 1936 was all dolled up in new varnish and deep scarlet wraps totally stunning in the winter sun she was. She had spen a long period on the operating table to hopefully cure her ferrule ills , caused more by hardys odd idea of ferrules ( fountain pen style with ball and spring locks) the ferrule stations were cut back and rebuilt with additional bamboo lams to retain the original taper . The we turned new ferrules from duronze , refinnished and rewrapped her . On the looking glass run in cashmere (this is the water between the 2 bridges) we started the day using a long leader and small dark pattern we started the search . On about the 3rd pass through there was a very light "tick" hmm rock or fish ? the question was answered soon enough when a good size buck colored in full spawning war paint came out of the river in a good tail walk that only a rainbow can do . Fed line and got him on the reel ,the first run took well into the backing ,it was a tug of war of back and forth . During the second log run there was the tell tale sickening crack of the bamboo splintering , .Down but not out with a fractured tip she slugged it out with this guy well into the 5th run the butt section gasped it's last and broke below the ferrule apparently the rot had progressed further down the blank then was known , the line now limp was reeled in and the now patient was assessed ,it was determined that it was terminal . My buddy now having seen the scrap came to see the outcome of it all well we built a small fire on the beach broke the rod into small pieces and cremated her she kept the british stiff upper lip to the end and deserved a good send off of course toasted with a pull from the always present flask still all in all a good day on ones home water smitty

Kent Lufkin

Remember when you could remember everything?
Wonderful post - thanks for sharing.

I have a big 1960's SF-era Winston 8wt that suffered a 'blown butt' from too many steelhead on expeditions with Ted Trueblood to the Grande Ronde back before very many folks even knew about it, let alone fished there. I've debated having Glenn Brackett repair it, but it seems more fitting to let it enjoy a well-earned rest.

Thanks all for the replies as an aside after we cremated the old girl we gave her to the river ,if there is an afterlife that ol buck is already looking over his shoulder:D Hey Kent ya gotta know if Ted Trueblood owned it, it was well used and earned it's stripes with him ,always enjoyed reading his articles you could hear the stream or smell the smoke from his fire . The replacement for the wye is a well preserved motague "manitou" 2 hander given the soft action I would say more overhead than spey also given the vintage aprox 20's or 30's
thanx all again smitty


Not to be confused with freestoneangler
Smitty, sounds like the old gal died doing what she loved - we should all be so lucky! I love that you honored her in such a thoughtful way as you sent her to her final resting place. I will think of her as I pass by.

Great story, thanks for sharing!

Kent Lufkin

Remember when you could remember everything?
Hey Kent ya gotta know if Ted Trueblood owned it, it was well used and earned it's stripes with him ,always enjoyed reading his articles you could hear the stream or smell the smoke from his fire .

Actually the big Winston belonged to a fellow named Doc Jones, who had retired to Boise in the 1970s and got to know Ted Trueblood and a local doctor named Claude Barrick. They all used to fish together, making runs up the Ronde in Doc's boat from the mouth at the Snake.

Doc had been an Evinrude outboard distributor, master machinist and avid fly fisher. He persuaded Evinrude to underwrite a movie (long lost, unfortunately) documenting one of their trips in which they caught literally dozens of fish every day. Doc ended up bequeathing the Winston and a gorgeous reel called the Record Breaker that he designed and built (see http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/mystery-reel-mystery-owner.68368/) to Claude Barrick. My mother-in-law worked for Dr. Barrick and when he passed last year, the WInston and the reel came to me.

In researching the story of the Record Breaker, I've connected with Ted's son Jack and had some fine exchanges comparing notes about some of their trips. Those were the days . . .


Latest posts