Orvis 2013 Battenkill Fly Reel

Porter

Posted this on other thread but it is long winded.....but I think Orvis on to something here.... click on to reel and get more info...i think it works?

RustE

drifting about
I like the simplicity.
I don't like the "Imported" aspect.

Will the price really equate to under $150USD is the question.

chief

I like the simplicity.

Edit - I posted the price from the Orvis catalog odf the disc drag reel - the click pawl version is not in the catalog.

IveofIone

The reel Chief is talking about is the standard disc drag Battenkill. The new Battenkill click pawl model is listed in the new Feathercraft catalog at $98 and the spools are $59.

Kent, perhaps these are made in England and they are just filling the home market first. I read initially they they were going to be available on March 25 but when I called and ordered mine they said it would be mid May. Hopefully it arrives earlier than that.

Ive

Porter

• Battenkill I for line weights 1-3, 2.8 oz., 2¾" diameter.
  • Battenkill II for line weights 3-5, 2.9 oz., 3" diameter.
  • Battenkill III for line weights 5-7, 3.2 oz., 3¼" diameter.

I like the simplicity.

Well, there are many, many non imported, US made alternatives. If you don't like "imported" products then you have choices, like Abel, Tibor, Hatch, Ross, and Lamson/Waterworks, to name a few... You will also pay more, just the way of the world.

The referenced reel looks to be a nicely mchined reel for $100 or so, it seems like a value, imported or not.

I find comments about "overseas" gear almost inevitably has an anti-Asian bias. I have yet to see someone complain about Loop reels (Sweden) or British made Hardy's, or back when STH made reels (Argentina.) I think machinists from Korea have as much skill as anyone else, though if your issue is with low wages and human rights (think PRC) then I'm in agreement. But I see no issues with an Asian made reel, if that's your budget and to your liking.

To that end, I'm always a little surprised that St. Croix rods don't get more love among fly anglers. US made, nice components and good casting rods. I'd put any of their rods up against similarly priced products from anyone, including imported rods from TFO, Redington and the like.

$.02

Dan

Latest posts