First fly you caught a fish on???

It must've been 1957. I was 13 and our family was spending a week at Gillette lake east of Colville. I had my Dad's old bamboo fly rod with floating line so I bought a couple "mosquitoes" at the fishing camp's store and caught rainbow trout all week. I can still remember how exciting that first little trout was.

A 12" purple/green mackerel pattern tied on a 10/0 hook. I was very young, but strong for my age. Getting the invite to fish with John Wayne on the Pilar on the East Cape of Baja was a real boost to the ego of a 4 year old. Lee Wulff coached me through it....he had tied the monstrous fly. Wayne only wanted to troll, but Lee Marvin punched him in the mouth. "Let the lad have a shot with the fly rod, Duke. Don't be a jerk!" he barked. I loved Lee like the father I never knew. With 20 seconds of instruction under my belt, I perfected a tight double haul with the 14 wt rod he threw at me. Wulff had taken all the hooks off Rooster Cogburn's trolling lures. Unbeknownst to the Duke, he was teasing in a striped marlin on hookless lures. Everything fell into place. Marvin was slugging down gin like ice water as the behemoth crashed the teasers. "Cast! Mingo! Cast NOW!" screamed Wulff. With all the might my 4-year-old deltoids could muster, I somehow double-H'd the giant fly into the drink. As if on cue, the blue-eyed marlin sucked the entire fly into its gaping maw and took off for the Galapagos Islands.

As John Wayne and Lee Marvin pummeled each other mercilessly, I took the battle to the fish. First, I told Wulff to calm down and take a chill pill. Next, I
I spit my drink over the screen reading this. Hilarious

Stew

I'm not entirely sure, but probably a Royal Coachman, but possibly a wooly worm since those were my first two flies in my possession...I do know where though, Mill Creek up in the Blue Mtns. outside of Walla Walla. I came a little late to the game and started flyfishing in college...damn, it's been 20+ years already...

dogsnfish

Buddies and I used to go backpacking for 2 or 3 nights at a time in the Eagle Cap Wilderness area around the 7th and 8th grade. We rigged mosquito patterns behind spinning bobbers and just nailed them. The reel was a Mitchel 300. It is on top of my desk in my home office.

Hem

First fish was on a Light or Dark Hendrikson in the mid seventies.Maybe it was a bivisible.Or maybe a Cahill.I only had like three flies,with no waders and some sort of fly rod.My grandfather was the only sportsman in the family, and fished the BeaverKill with bamboo Payne rods. I fished in Western Masssachusetts.I think I still have the original Plueger reel.It was magic.

rainbow

My name is Mark Oberg
First fish was on a Light or Dark Hendrikson in the mid seventies.Maybe it was a bivisible.Or maybe a Cahill.I only had like three flies,with no waders and some sort of fly rod.My grandfather was the only sportsman in the family, and fished the BeaverKill with bamboo Payne rods. I fished in Western Masssachusetts.I think I still have the original Plueger reel.It was magic.
Do you still have the Payne rod's?.

queen of the waters. in a trib of the clearwater near culdesac. rod was a 3 piece bamboo which i did not like and still done. the year was 1953 and i was 12. the limit was 20 trout with 3 under 6 inches. i remember when the limit was 12 trout in washington then we got to many people. oh well my limit is zero. mike w

Hem

You know,I had one Payne rod,which was a beauty.When I first fished Montana in '81 I used this rod and nearly broke it on a large Brown.Soon after i started fishing with a Lamiglass and then graphite.The bamboo rod collected dust until I decided to sell it and reinvest in newer rods.I still own a L.C.Smith 12 gauge from my grandfather which I am more attached to.No regrets, I'm sure he has looked down over the years and has satisfaction one grandson is obsessed with fly-rodding.

I don't recall the first fly I ever caught a fish on. I do recall the first fly I ever tied to catch a fish. Sadly it was not me. Fishing the sno below the hatchery,a friend of mine pulled in a small SH with a hares ear I had tied. I was thrilled that something I had tied could actually work.

First fish was before the first actual cast. Tied on a mosquito dry fly, and in the process of shaking out some line got hit by a rainbow. slight lift of the rod, short fight, relaxed the rod, fish dove into the net. Perfect.

Latest posts