Help me overcome some of my ignorance

Over on another thread we were discussing dryer lint for dubbing. I started the thread as a tongue in cheek comment. One of the posters mentioned the Tups Particular fly. I have never heard of the
Tups Particular fly. I have heard of the Tups Indispensable fly.

So I ask, is there such a fly as Tups Particular, or did I just misunderstand.

If it does exist, could someone please describe it?

No, I think it was just me trying to recall an obscure name off the top of my head without confirming via google.

Ah ha. I hope your memory is better than mine, Rob. Haha.

IIRC I read somewhere that the urine stained fur of the fox was used
in the Indispensable. Odd choice of material, but I suppose that some
would not find it at all unusual. Wonder if we could convince Davy McPhail to do a vidio on the Tups?

Ah ha. So I am learning. The Fox apparently has nothing to do with it.
The Ram is a major contribution however.

My next question would be, "WHY WOULD ANYONE CHOSE SUCH A MATERIAL? IS FISHING THAT METICULOUS THERE?"

It would seem that a lot of substitution, for good reason, has come into the pattern.

Thanks for the update.

GAT

Dumbfounded
The Tups Indispensable us dubbed with urine stained wool from a Ram's scrotum. Hence the name.

Oh for crying out loud!!! First it's female fox urine on her belly and now it's male goat pee on its balls!! Evidently there was a really weird fly tyer of old sneaking around checking wild animals for pee stains. Pee stains on fur!!! Strange obsession.

Oh for crying out loud!!! First it's female fox urine on her belly and now it's male goat pee on its balls!! Evidently there was a really weird fly tyer of old sneaking around checking wild animals for pee stains. Pee stains on fur!!! Strange obsession.
Maybe things get slow in the high country of Scotland, Gene.

Here is an actual specimen of urine-stained ram's "fur" taken from an unmentionable area of the ram. It was given to me by a mentor in 1965. A Tup's Indispensable was one of the first flies I tied.
Jack DSC01209.jpeg

Latest posts