Raging River

JayH

With all this high water I did a little exploring on the Raging River this afternoon upstream from the Hwy 18 bridge. The caddis fly larvae are ubiquitous and so are the thousands of doomed fry unless the water comes up again and rescues them from the isolated pools. I thought the fry were trout but a buddy thinks they were probably salmon. Maybe an inch and a half, brown to gray body with black spots running along the middle front to back, a reddish tail and white outline on the pelvic fins. Sorry for the poor pix :-(

Preston

Rather difficult to tell at that stage of development, without very close examination, most very young salmonids look quite similar. With its extreme seasonal variations in flow and temperature Raging River offers only extremely poor of habitat for resident fish.

I fished the raging about a week ago or so and was picked up trout like no mans biz. I did see what looked like the same above but left them alone. They were pretty much hugging the shallows/rocks. As for the trout...deep pockets, running water. Spawning time last year we saw pretty much everything including a bear. Only a few steel/sal. but it seems harder when the outlet of the raging into the snoqual gets smaller so I don't think many big boys get up there

santo

I fished the raging about a week ago or so and was picked up trout like no mans biz. I did see what looked like the same above but left them alone. They were pretty much hugging the shallows/rocks. As for the trout...deep pockets, running water. Spawning time last year we saw pretty much everything including a bear. Only a few steel/sal. but it seems harder when the outlet of the raging into the snoqual gets smaller so I don't think many big boys get up there

santo
You should probably read your regs before fishing somewhere. Especially when talking about it on the internet.

People, trust me on this: the Raging River gets plenty of anadromous fish. Is there a shelf at the mouth? Yes. Does the water come up several times a year allowing fish to cross over the shelf with ease? Yes. Are there many resident trout? No. Are the resident trout vastly outnumbered by juvenile anadromous fish? Yes. If you're catching "rainbows" there, chances are, they are baby steelhead.

You should probably read your regs before fishing somewhere. Especially when talking about it on the internet.
Crap!! that's not even the worse part Evan. I just found out today that my lic expired on May 1st! The worst part about everything...I was fishing with someone from fish & game and from the USGS for servicing a station. Talk about a cluster F#*$!

santo

Crap!! that's not even the worse part Evan. I just found out today that my lic expired on May 1st! The worst part about everything...I was fishing with someone from fish & game and from the USGS for servicing a station. Talk about a cluster F#*$!

santo
You sure it wasn't April 1st? Pretty sure licenses run from April 1st to March 31. The person from fish and game should lose their job.