A rookies log.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My steelhead fly mantra is "any fly is good, as long as it's black." Unless I'm using a fly of a different color. I mean, God gave us many colors, so why should I use black all the time? Think about fly selection. Don't over-think fly selection. Don't start talking like this matters more than it does.
Clearly it's rod selection that makes the all difference. :)

My steelhead fly mantra is "any fly is good, as long as it's black." Unless I'm using a fly of a different color. I mean, God gave us many colors, so why should I use black all the time? Think about fly selection. Don't over-think fly selection. Don't start talking like this matters more than it does.

Sg
I agree to a certain point. I think size and profile have more to do with it than color. When picking a fly, I usually look for those two things and color is an after thought (except for the differentiation between colorful and muted earthy colors). There have been more than a handful of times I've not gotten a peck, but changed flies without taking a step and gotten a pull. Coincidence. Maybe. But, maybe not. We'll never know.

Wow I got a trophy for 50 likes. I would first like to thank my parents for bringing me into this world. Without them I would not be here today. I would also like to thank the academy for the nomination and fellow member bassturds for liking my post in which got me to the big FIVE O. Thank you so much I am truly honored.

I don't think fly pattern matters all that much. I'll adjust my size and color to conditions. Really, I think a woolly bugger of appropriate size and color will work in every situation.
Nice job on the hookup. That was pretty quick.

This thread is a fun read thanks to a lot of entertaining folks contributing! Too bad you guys all seem to be in the Northern part of the state, cause you seem like good folks. If you ever come down south, I'll buy some beers and show you a few good spots.

I don't think fly pattern matters all that much. I'll adjust my size and color to conditions. Really, I think a woolly bugger of appropriate size and color will work in every situation.
Nice job on the hookup. That was pretty quick.
You could be right. Haven't tied on a woolly bugger in probably 10 years. But they used to catch a lot of trout for me. Steelhead probably like them too.

Jeremy Floyd

fly fishing my way through life
I think it should be called the "puking hemorrhoid".. because the pinks poking out the front instead of the back.

Not making fun of the fly or anything. Just brainstorming while I suck down some coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts