Damsel pattern - here's mine, what's yours?

I call this one the "glass-eyed damsel"

eyes are glass olive beads on 30# mono melted at the ends

tail, abdomen, and thorax olive/brown marabou fibers (keep sparse and just bind it down in the abdomen without twisting or wrapping; twist and wrap for the thorax).

rib is clear, stretch craft lacing.

wingcase is brown swiss straw or similar.

glass-eyed damsel nymph 4.jpg

I call this one the "glass-eyed damsel"

eyes are glass olive beads on 30# mono melted at the ends

tail, abdomen, and thorax olive/brown marabou fibers (keep sparse and just bind it down in the abdomen without twisting or wrapping; twist and wrap for the thorax).

rib is clear, stretch craft lacing.

wingcase is brown swiss straw or similar.

View attachment 28468
That looks super effective. I like that wing case material!

McNasty

Canyon Lurker
not a bad idea. aside from the foam eyes and copper wire mines 100% pheasant rump. i love using all parts of those feathers for tying.

McNasty

Canyon Lurker
So, is that pheasant rump dyed black?
nah, just dark in the picture. its the marabou like fluffy feathers toward the bottom for the tail. a filoplume from the feather on a dubbing loop for the body. the shellback is long reddish barbs from a good spey hackle rump feather held down by the wire. the collar is a smaller blueish rump hackle feather. and foam eyes tied in then figure 8 wrapped witht he same feathers used for the tail chopped up and dubbed on thread.

GAT

Dumbfounded
I think we've covered this one before but there's always new folks who haven't seen previous threads..

This simple pattern is still the most productive for me:

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
I'm short on damsels right now, I'd be up for a swap. I like to use Denny Rickards stillwater nymph as a damsel pattern and now that I know how to tie it on a jig hook, I plan to create a balance fly version.