Pattern Pheasant Tail Parachute

GAT

Dumbfounded
Dang! I can't believe I hadn't thought of that one before. What a great idea for a pattern, I love it and plan to tie up some of the suckers.! Pheasant tail fibers and peacock herl are always good additions to a fly pattern and work quite well together. It's a natural for a parachute pattern.

Patagonguy

Yes, guys I thought the same...a PT nymph is a killer everywhere. And I can say that this parachute PT is also one! Several things I prefer with parachutes...first, can stay in a correct position on the surface film (classic Catskill-style flies lose the vertical with a breeze) , second, more visibility (post), third, in my opinion the legs and antennae are imitated better, with horizontal hackles (check a mayfly from underwater) and fourth, can stay all-day long floating (it seems that the support of the horizontal hackle is higher than with classics). Just my experience and opinion, not a rule for everyone. Regards and good fishing!

Up at Leech a couple weeks ago, the fish were feeding on the surface. I got no love until I found one of these deep down in my fly box. It had a foam post on it. Thought it made a good emerger pattern.

Wayne

dfl

In my experience they works best using gust 3 pt fibers for the abdomen. Use the lightest wire there is or mono for reinforcement. It makes a lighter but still very effective fly. If you like this pattern tie up some grhe as dries. Both "old" nymph patterns make great dries.

Latest posts