Big Y Fly

Rob Hardman

I've ordered from BigYfly a few times and been pleased. You get a dud that unravels here and there, but for the price, I expect that. They're pretty quick too. I usually receive three or four days after ordering.

Josh

dead in the water
Big y is solid as far as price/speed/service. Flies are better than you'd expect for the price (though not high end). I buy a lot of basics from them.

C&CRods

not your average member
I love them! Average price for a fly around Seattle? 3 bucks plus tax.... I can get 7 bigyfly of decent quality for that price. Free shipping on orders over 30 dollars and they have rewards programs too.

How is this a profitable business? I would love to think that there are a bunch of contracted tyers busting these flies out for a decent wage, but it doesn't add up. When a dozen flies are going for roughly $7 I become confused. Is there a mad tyer out there that can finish a couple dozen flies per hour to create a decent profit margin at minimum wage, or are these being tied overseas? I would guess the latter, but I have been wrong before... Twice :).

Klickrolf

How is this a profitable business? I would love to think that there are a bunch of contracted tiers (SP?) busting these flies out for a decent wage, but it doesn't add up. When a dozen flies are going for roughly $7 I become confused. Is there a mad tier out there that can finish a couple dozen flies per hour to create a decent profit margin at minimum wage, or are these being tied overseas? I would guess the latter, but I have been wrong before... Twice :).
China, Korea, Viet Nam, etc. You can be sure these flies are tied in a country with a dictator of some sort. You can also be sure the tyers, even if they are good, and they are, will remain in poverty for the rest of their lives.

FT

The tyers in poor countries in Africa and Sri Lanka get paid twice the average wage in their country, which means that earn between $1.50 and $2.00/10-12 hour day. Hey they aren't being exploited, they are being given gainful employment and doubling the annual wage in their country. Who cares if they live in poverty, they are working aren't they? Besides, it isn't the fly importers problem if these folks are willing to work for such low wages, they are just providing a sales outlet for the product. And it certainly isn't the concern of the fellows buying flies from the importers because the fly fishers buying them are simply saving a few dollars not helping to keep folks in poverty or helping keep folks being exploited, right?

Latest posts