Bear spray

Josh

dead in the water
I've often wondered why the spray companies don't offer a kit with the real can and a "practice" can that operates in the same way and goes the same distance but has inert stuff.

joellirot

Used to live in AK. Never had to use the stuff despite one close encounter.

But, I did 'play' with it one time against racoons....it was a dangerous situation...

moral of the story is that whatever i had was useful to about 15 feet - with the wind at your back. and if the wind wasn't at your back - it got you as much a the bear.

whether or not that's useful is for the bears to decide.

unless the technology has changed a lot in the last few years - and maybe it has - it's worthwhile up to about 5-10 yards if you know what you're doing and are patient and calm and don't mind cleaning the shit outta your pants.

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
I've often wondered why the spray companies don't offer a kit with the real can and a "practice" can that operates in the same way and goes the same distance but has inert stuff.
I agree... that would be useful. They should also make a handgun type holder for them... though as big as the canisters are, it would look like a 454 Casull :D

Just take some honey along and rub it on who ever your fishing with and then run like hell.

I can't help myself.
In a similar vein:

Two buddies are hiking in the woods when suddenly they come across a bear. One guy drops his backpack and takes out a pair of running shoes. His friend says to him "What are you doing? That's not going to help you out run the bear!" To which he replies "I don't have to out run the bear; I only have to out run you."

<rimshot>

Ed Call

UDAP. Have used it twice on Griz. Worked like a champ. Refuse to carry any other brand even though others get good reviews like the Counter Assault.
I carry UDAP also. I have heard very positive reviews and have started venturing deeper into the woods with my own cubs. I have much experience at close range with spray designed for humans. I like the non lethal results.

Itchy Dog

Some call me Kirk Werner
What I want to know is if bear spray will deter the mother moose who you've just stumbled upon in the Idaho backcountry and she's accompanied by a young calf? That right there is butt puckering stuff.

G

gldntrt20

I was way out in the wilds if SW Alaska last year with an outfitter who has over 30 years experience guiding. He carried a 12 gauge and each client had bear spray and a small boat horn (the aerosol kind). That horn was unbelievably loud and the two times he used it the bears couldn't get away fast enough. It was smaller than the bear spray we each carried.
Always thought the horn might be the way to go for bears/cougar/mt goats

Latest posts