Preparing for the upcoming bass top water season

TD

What weight rod does it take to cast one of those? They look very nice. Makes me want to try bass fishin'. Never done it before.

Shawn West

What weight rod does it take to cast one of those? They look very nice. Makes me want to try bass fishin'. Never done it before.
I plan on using my Sage Smallmouth rod. You could cast those with a 6 or 7 weight rod. To be honest with you, most of my fishing is done with a 5 weight rod. Buggers can be deadly for bass. I will usually not use the top water flies until the water temperatures reach 68 degrees or above.

Shawn

I am planning on trying out some buggers this weekend on a very secluded lake with some good bass fishing. It will be my first time focussing on lm bass. I'll be using my 5wt rod for now as I set my 7wt up for the salmon run. I've really enjoyed the bass I have caught. I'll make sure to post any picture on Sunday.

TD

Thanks Shawn. I may do a little research on waters up north of Seattle and give bass a try this summer. What little I've read of it sounds fun.

Latest posts