Polarized Sunglasses

Just wondering what tint you guys prefer and if there's a brand you recommend. Bought a pair recently that I thought would work, but after several hours found to be uncomfortable in the extreme.

Overall, an amber lens is best. I buy cheap, because I'm always scathing them, breaking, them or losing them.

However, because I buy cheap, I buy two of each kind (amber and grey/smoke lens).

Maui jim has a yellow like tint made for overcast days that works pretty good. The only thing I have to compare them to is a pair of polarized oakleys that suck in comparison. Even with less of a tint the glare reduction is amazing. To be honest they where on sale and I needed some thing for bonefish other wise I would never of tried them.

gearhead

I had a pair of Smith Optics, guides choice in copper (glass lens)....was absolutely amazing as far as looking into the water....but.......they looked like crap on my fat head, so i sent them back, and had to go with a Costa green lens, glass...much better for my fat head, they work fantastic, but im sure the Smiths were better. if you have a a medium to small head, try out those Smith copper (glass) ya wont be disappointed.

DennisE

Topwater and tying.
My favorites for general use and fishing are Edge Dakura polarized safety glasses that I get online from SafetyGlasses.com for $32.50 a pair. They come in several different tints and don't look bad, either. They have yellow, smoke, copper, blue and mirror polycarbonate lenses and they ARE scratch resistant! After repairing a minor frame crack I recently gave my son my oldest pair purchased in 2006. They had one small mark on one lens, but were otherwise completely useable.
Make a mistake when pitching a heavy clouser on a big hook and the safety glass version can be priceless!

David Loy

Senior Moment
I have tried many lenses and agree that amber is the best low to medium light color. However the pair I have (from Smith) fit tightly and fog up. I use anti fog but they still fog a bit and honestly, I find the amber to be an obnoxious color. My favorite lenses are Maui Jim's rose however I now find glass lenses too heavy and they often slide down my nose. Now for general use I've been using some of the $50 (@REI) Sunclouds or another brand too. I just look for the lightest color lens and they are very comfortable. They are acrylic but don't seem to scratch as much as plastics used to. I have often thought though that for low light conditions a simple pair of clear safety glasses would be a good choice, as eye protection.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Overall, an amber lens is best. I buy cheap, because I'm always scathing them, breaking, them or losing them.

However, because I buy cheap, I buy two of each kind (amber and grey/smoke lens).
I'm like Dave here. I have to wear fit overs because of wearing glasses. I have two sets of Cocoons. One is amber and the other is also, just lighter is shade.

porterHause

Just call me Jon
My girlfriend bought me a pair of Costa's for my birthday. Silver Mirror tint in their 580g glass lenses. Built like a tank and the clarity over my old Smith polarized lenses is night and day. I find myself wearing them at dusk well after I shouldn't be able to see anymore.

Salmo_g

My favorites are my Maui Jims because everything looks better through rose colored lens. Well that and because they are the lightest glasses I've ever worn, super comfortable even after a long day outdoors.

Sg

i was a smith guy for a long time, still am for goggles. ive had a pair of natives too. the most important thing you have to do is go to a store and try a bunch of pairs on... even the nicest pair in the world will suck if they dont fit well. my current pair are costas and at the end of a long day fishing i can tell a huge difference in lack of eye fatigue. i have the copper color lense, which seem much better than regular amber for contrasts. the costas cost quite a bit more than some other brands, but if you can swing it, they are worth it.

I don't think brand is as important as the tint. I like light brown/amber lenses, although the copper ones I have are pretty great too. I'd stay away from gray, green, blue, etc unless you are looking at blue water protection rather than sight fishing. The light amber/yellow lenses are great for low light conditions.....my $02.00

Latest posts