Rocky Ford Lower Bridge Shut Down

Chad Lewis

NEVER wonder what to do with your free time
i thought i was going to get the entire lower section to my self, but alas it was busy. People found ways to get there just as i had done. bummer, no untouched water.
LOL. I was just gonna cross at the other bridge and walk down.

I fished it in March and ran into a trapper that was under contract with either the state or Trout Lodge to harvest muskrats. Just in the area around the bridge he pulled something like 17 rats out of his traps! I'm not surprised they undermined the bridge to the point it is unsafe and needs to be rebuilt.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
I fished it in March and ran into a trapper that was under contract with either the state or Trout Lodge to harvest muskrats. Just in the area around the bridge he pulled something like 17 rats out of his traps! I'm not surprised they undermined the bridge to the point it is unsafe and needs to be rebuilt.
17 does seem excessive! But I do love fishing behind the rats, they stir up the bottom and often times trout will follow them, eating the scuds that they kick up.

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
I believe he was trapping for himself as that's what he does in the winter. He left me with the thought he was in it for the money as his goal was 700 rats each year. Now he may have been working both sides of the street and getting additional funds from the various irrigation districts. Most of the places he trapped were running water in Grant and Adams county, areas controlled by the irrigation districts.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
You know, those rats fight pretty hard as well (watched it, didn't do it myself). If you can trap them, I wonder if you could also target them with a vegi fly, you know like they do with grass carp. You would probably end up needing a special permit but what the heck.

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
You know, those rats fight pretty hard as well (watched it, didn't do it myself). If you can trap them, I wonder if you could also target them with a vegi fly, you know like they do with grass carp. You would probably end up needing a special permit but what the heck.
It's not the fight I'd be concerned with but the how to get them off the hook.:)

Knee high chains were in place when I was there two weekends ago and the east bank support was definitely sketchy looking. But my "stress testing" didn't produce any movement and we walked right over it...

Fishing was great on black leeches for the bigger 'bows and scuds and BWO drys for the 10"- 12" inchers. Unfortunately no muskrat hookups.

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
If one were to accidentally fall into the stream, is it law that he/she must exit the side they fell into? And, while not very common I agree, it could happen twice, to the same person, in one day... just saying.

Latest posts