Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Backcountry Cooking

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  KerryS 
G
#1 ·
I know many of your like to do outdoor cooking and I thought you might find this interesting.

I cooked in the backcountry for a 10-day trip earlier this month. It was a USFS and local college archeological field school. 13 people.

Loading the gear onto mules at the trailhead.

Then, pack it in to the camp.

Then set up the wall tent that became the kitchen.

When the rain started and the temperatures dropped, it was a very popular place for folks. The homemade soup was very popular.

I baked and cooked.

Above, a 2-loaf recipe of sourdough bread in a 12" deep Dutchie.

Below, marinated grilled chicken.

Below, chicken friend steak. I throw some minced garlic and chipotle into the batter.

It was a very interesting 10 days. I learned a lot about archeology and everyone seemed to enjoy the breads, cookies, pies, and lasagna etc.

The range/oven I got last winter was a great addition to my backcountry kitchen.

Trapper

See less See more
#5 ·
That looks so good nice job

G
#10 ·
beautiful work, M. T.! I especially like the bread!
So far I haven't found anyone who doesn't like my fresh-out-of-the-Dutchie sourdough bread.

What's really a hit is when the huckleberries ripen and I send one of the wranglers out with a bucket and we have sourdough pancakes dotted with fresh huckleberries. If we have enough, I slow cook some and pour the sauce warm over the pancakes Along with some breakfast sausage and eggs it's a pretty great breakfast in the back country.

Trapper

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.